Salt safe or not

Bagman

I just picked up a Thomas and Thomas 9' 7,8,9wt 4 piece fly rod, it is marked Anger Image custom by Thomas and Thomas, it has a nice little extention on the fighting butt about 2 1/2 inches long that unscrews. I picked it up as a back up for my present 8wt. Does anyone know if this Rod is salt water safe? In fact does anyone know anything about this rod?

Porter

I just picked up a Thomas and Thomas 9' 7,8,9wt 4 piece fly rod......
I'm a bit confused....is it a 9'7" 8/9 weight? or 9' rated 7-8-9 weight?

Miss-print? Angler or Anger Image?

I'm sure it will be fine for SW use....just rinse real good after use and store completely dry.

Tacoma Red

I'll spray with a dedicated tank sprayer (~$10, 1 gallon sprayer) that I've put 3-5 drops of Blue Dawn liquid detergent in. The soap helps as a surfactant to solubilize residual salt and other minerals. Then a heavy spray off with the garden hose and/or soak in a 5 gallon bucket of water.

Porter

I use the local creek running in to the sound on most beaches. No sign of oxidation on the rod after 14 years with a certain rod. I have seen rods with guide oxidation and that comes from lots of use and also not rinsing afterwords. You here of people showering with their rods after a sea trip, I’m not that extreme. Local creek or garden hose after a trip. Let air dry complete. ;)

dryflylarry

"Chasing Riseforms"
I'll spray with a dedicated tank sprayer (~$10, 1 gallon sprayer) that I've put 3-5 drops of Blue Dawn liquid detergent in. The soap helps as a surfactant to solubilize residual salt and other minerals. Then a heavy spray off with the garden hose and/or soak in a 5 gallon bucket of water.
Would that work to run through an outboard engine? Would that be similar to the product "Saltaway"?

David Loy

Senior Moment
I use the local creek running in to the sound on most beaches. No sign of oxidation on the rod after 14 years with a certain rod. I have seen rods with guide oxidation and that comes from lots of use and also not rinsing afterwords. You here of people showering with their rods after a sea trip, I’m not that extreme. Local creek or garden hose after a trip. Let air dry complete. ;)
double post

Last edited:

David Loy

Senior Moment
My std procedure is to stop at a LkWa park a couple blocks from home. Strip off all the line I can cast, plus some, make a long cast from the dock, submerge the rod/reel and swish 30 seconds or so, reel in and call it good. I used to shower with it and strip the line off, but friends made fun of me. Apparently it was weird, but they know shit about saltwater fly fishing.
I’d bet money the old timers hucking Fenwicks in the 60s/70s never gave it a thought. SW is murder on fancy wood reel seats, but if you rinse thoroughly and religiously, I bet most rods will last many years.

Porter

Sage website use to say ( might still but haven’t checked it all out lately, got schooled on new warranty a bit ago on it too) to periodically wipe down your rod with pledge. I never have done that. Supposedly help retain the luster :rolleyes:

Bob Triggs

Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
Sage website use to say ( might still but haven’t checked it all out lately, got schooled on new warranty a bit ago on it too) to periodically wipe down your rod with pledge. I never have done that. Supposedly help retain the luster :rolleyes:
"Pledge" is just expensive mineral oil, water, food coloring and perfume.

jasmillo

I admire the dedication that some of put into the rod/reel maintenance.

I spray mine off with a garden hose for about 2/3 minutes after each salt use. That’s about it. Seems to be fine for most rods/reels.

That being said, I did have to send a Nautilus reel in for repair after 10 months of use recently.

Maybe I should have spent my Sunday afternoons meticulously cleaning my gear each weekend.....

Latest posts