Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Salt safe or not

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Tinker 
#1 ·
I just picked up a Thomas and Thomas 9' 7,8,9wt 4 piece fly rod, it is marked Anger Image custom by Thomas and Thomas, it has a nice little extention on the fighting butt about 2 1/2 inches long that unscrews. I picked it up as a back up for my present 8wt. Does anyone know if this Rod is salt water safe? In fact does anyone know anything about this rod?

#5 ·
I'll spray with a dedicated tank sprayer (~$10, 1 gallon sprayer) that I've put 3-5 drops of Blue Dawn liquid detergent in. The soap helps as a surfactant to solubilize residual salt and other minerals. Then a heavy spray off with the garden hose and/or soak in a 5 gallon bucket of water.

#6 ·
I use the local creek running in to the sound on most beaches. No sign of oxidation on the rod after 14 years with a certain rod. I have seen rods with guide oxidation and that comes from lots of use and also not rinsing afterwords. You here of people showering with their rods after a sea trip, I’m not that extreme. Local creek or garden hose after a trip. Let air dry complete. ;)

#10 · (Edited)
I use the local creek running in to the sound on most beaches. No sign of oxidation on the rod after 14 years with a certain rod. I have seen rods with guide oxidation and that comes from lots of use and also not rinsing afterwords. You here of people showering with their rods after a sea trip, I'm not that extreme. Local creek or garden hose after a trip. Let air dry complete. ;)
double post

#13 ·
Sage website use to say ( might still but haven't checked it all out lately, got schooled on new warranty a bit ago on it too) to periodically wipe down your rod with pledge. I never have done that. Supposedly help retain the luster :rolleyes:
"Pledge" is just expensive mineral oil, water, food coloring and perfume.

#14 ·
I admire the dedication that some of put into the rod/reel maintenance.

I spray mine off with a garden hose for about 2/3 minutes after each salt use. That’s about it. Seems to be fine for most rods/reels.

That being said, I did have to send a Nautilus reel in for repair after 10 months of use recently.

Maybe I should have spent my Sunday afternoons meticulously cleaning my gear each weekend.....

#16 ·
Ocean fishing in a kayak, my gear gets dunked way too often. I rinse rods and reels under warm - room temperature (and let's assume your not a polar bear) - water because warm water dissolves and carries-away more salt residue than cold water, then let the reels and the rod sections air dry. I soak my fly lines in two or three drops of dishwashing detergent in a bathtub with 2-3" of water in it, then rinse it in clean water and pull the line through a folded towel when re-spooling. Takes about an hour to finish cleaning. Drying takes as long as feel like looking at the bits and pieces scattered about before putting them away.

There's a heck of a lot of stuff to clean after kayaking in saltwater - including the kayak itself - and the rod, reel, and lines are just part of the job.

#17 ·
Seems like some people just like to have everything returned to showroom perfect after each use and some people don't care so much about that. Not trying to judge anyone, just the way it is. I never get too worked up about salt water on my gear, and I rarely rinse my equipment off other than a quick squirt with a hose if I have time. Not sure what the fuss is all about. It is just stuff. Pick the dried seaweed out of the eyes, replace the fly if it got rusty, and I'm back on the water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.