Boat down!

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
A boat overturned with 2 in the river, one made it out one dead at big eddy on the skykomish. Be careful out there people that's not a area that you can snooze, while its not very difficult but has consequences if you make a mistake or don't belong on the river.

Shad

Here's another sobering reminder that every day the boat stays upright and everyone stays in it is a great day.

Prayers for the family of the deceased....

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Did they lose it in the boiling eddy there or the boulder garden down below?

Not exactly sure I'm guessing below...that second spot has been getting interesting the last couple seasons.

" Rescue crews responded at about 5 a.m. to an area about a half-mile downstream from Big Eddy Public Water Access off Highway 2, according to the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office.
One fisherman swam to shore and called for help.
The fisherman who died was a 57-year-old man from Sultan. It’s believed he was not wearing a life jacket when he went into the water. "

Not exactly sure I'm guessing below...that second spot has been getting interesting the last couple seasons.

" Rescue crews responded at about 5 a.m. to an area about a half-mile downstream from Big Eddy Public Water Access off Highway 2, according to the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office.
One fisherman swam to shore and called for help.
The fisherman who died was a 57-year-old man from Sultan. It’s believed he was not wearing a life jacket when he went into the water. "
Not terribly surprising. That spot always sketched me out and I was always surprised there wasn't more chatter about how nasty that spot could be. I had a few run throughs in there that definitely could've been disastrous.

Brian St

I have had more then a few oh shit moments on that corner. Its claimed a few lives through the years including an experienced white water guide. Its life jacket mandatory. Stay to the right and you will see the line to take right beside the large boulder you do not want to hit. The middle is sketch and has filled in.

Achilles

I have had more then a few oh shit moments on that corner. Its claimed a few lives through the years including an experienced white water guide. Its life jacket mandatory. Stay to the right and you will see the line to take right beside the large boulder you do not want to hit. The middle is sketch and has filled in.
Strange, I’ve never been down that section but planned to float in a week or two. It looks like it might be okay at higher flows?Anyone have advice? PM me if you’re willing to share local wisdom..

Thanks.

Really sad story.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Strange, I’ve never been down that section but planned to float in a week or two. It looks like it might be okay at higher flows?Anyone have advice? PM me if you’re willing to share local wisdom..

Thanks.

Really sad story.

The 1st shoot is strait forward on the left below the RR bridge, look out for the rocks down at the bottom that run across. The second spot is the hard part of the river and not super technical but it can cause problems. There is a slot on the far left that is passable(I have not floated yet this year) and safer than the far right. When in doubt you can walk a boat down. After that its strait forward just keep your head and should be ok.
If running a raft its no big deal, a hard boat will need to pay attention. I cant row because of a surgery but I could show you the way if you have a open seat.

JayB

Did they lose it in the boiling eddy there or the boulder garden down below?
I had family in town and took the gang on a family float through that section a few hours after the accident. There was a tongue/channel on the river right side that you could navigate through if you avoided 2-3 significant mostly-submerged rocks, and a *very* broad, wide open stretch of water open on the river left side of that channel (flows were ~3.7K).

The boat was broached on a very prominent boulder on the river left side of the river right channel, at the very end. My best guess would be that the boat entered the river river channel, got hung up on one of the sub-surface boulders, and capsized prior to broaching on the large boulder.

Very unfortunate incident. What a terrible shock and tragedy for his family.

I don't know whether or not the deceased had a PFD or not, so I won't comment on that, but the fact that the only people I saw on the river that day who were wearing a PFD were on my boat was surprising to me. Also saw at least a few people in gore-tex waders sans a wading belt. It's a free country, but these days no one gets on a boat that I operate without a PFD.

Achilles

Update.

A few friends floated this stretch on Sunday. Putting in around 7am. The man’s boat is still in the river. That first section below the railroad bridge is hairy and if it gets any lower I could see it causing problems. It’s getting pretty dicey with multiple sweepers and exposed rocks throughout the entire stretch so pay attention. Any lower than 3k and you’ll probably have to get out and pull your boat over exposed bars.

No fish.