PMD?

015 Mayfly 062618 rgb post.jpg

I'm going with male from the large eyes? Obviously a spinner from the molt, though I would have guessed as much from the wings and long tails. 1/2-9/16" or 10-12mm.

Taxon

Staff member
Pale Morning Dun (PMD) is one of numerous common names for genus Ephemerella. This is a Callibaetis male imago.

Pale Morning Dun (PMD) is one of numerous common names for genus Ephemerella. This is a Callibaetis male imago.
Thanks Taxon, and interesting. Though there isn't still/slow water around for a 2.5-3 miles. I supposed he came in on a good breeze? I do have water 50 ft away, but it spends most of the year moving at a decent clip. Are they more inclined towards moving water than I realize?

Taxon

Staff member
It doesn't take much still water to support Callibaetis. For example, I am aware of their ova being deposited (by a gravid female) in a partially overturned wheelbarrow, with the water being replenished by periodic rainfall, and resulting in an Callibaetis emergence perhaps (7) weeks later.

I’ve got two lakes both about 5 miles away. I also have horses and 100 gallon water troughs where callibaetis hatch usually in mid March so
I get to watch the nymphs swimming around with two species of water boatmen.

Latest posts