Dai Riki 135 Shortage

ScottP

A number of on-line vendors and all the fly shops in town are out of them in #10-14; one owner says he has no idea if/when he’ll get any more. Anyone know what the deal is?

Regards,
Scott

I was in Waters West in P.A. earlier this week. They’re clearing out all their Dai-Riki hooks. I asked why, and they said that the guy that they placed all of their orders through died a little while ago. Whoever replaced him isn’t doing a good job. They can’t get correct orders in at all, and if they get something it’s invomplete, and usually missing the special order stuff. It’s too bad. Those hooks are a great deal. I bought 3 packs of various hooks, but I should have probably bought one of each.

ScottP

Scott have you checked the on-line shops and e-Bay. I like to support our local shops but sometimes can't.
I have with the same results - even places with the 135's in stock don't have #12s (at least at a price I was willing to pay). I did find a vendor on EBay that has scud hooks, not any name brand, at a decent price so I bought some. We'll see how they work; since I'm not in the habit of catching 5lb trout I doubt the hooks will be strained too much. I've got a lot of Carnage dries to tie.

Regards,
Scott

GAT

Dumbfounded
I didn't consider the tariff effecting the hook supply for fly patterns. I wonder if Eagle Claw fly tying hooks are still made in the US? The one's I used in the past worked fine for hooking fish.

I have with the same results - even places with the 135's in stock don't have #12s (at least at a price I was willing to pay). I did find a vendor on EBay that has scud hooks, not any name brand, at a decent price so I bought some. We'll see how they work; since I'm not in the habit of catching 5lb trout I doubt the hooks will be strained too much. I've got a lot of Carnage dries to tie.

Regards,
Scott
Take a look at the Daiichi 1120, 1130 and 1150. The 1120 and 1150 are reasonably heavy wire, just different positions of the hook eye.

FinLuver

Spoke to my local shop today, seems that there may be a shortage of the plastic boxes that Dan Bailey's puts the hooks in. (They have hooks in zip-lock baggies sittin' around.) Couple that with some organizational challenges and they are experiencing a perfect retail/wholesale storm.

Scott, I just called Dan Bailey fly shop (the importer) and they said they are out and hope to have the problem solved by the end of summer. Yikes (my yikes not theirs)

They have had the problem since at least January if not longer based on what my local shop says. I'm guessing that many shops have switched to other brands. Big loss of market share with that.

Last edited:

FinLuver

They have had the problem since at least January if not longer based on what my local shop says. I'm guessing that many shops have switched to other brands. Big loss of market share with that.
Daiichi has filled the "void" on the "once empty" peg hooks at my local shop.
Agree with the market share comment, as well.

ScottP

For the trout I catch, my new best friends will work just fine. The last hook I had straighten out were POS Tiemco 200s; “premium” my ass.

Regards,
Scott

Latest posts