SFR: I'm terrible at camp meal planning

Probably because my wife is an excellent cook and I just leave it up to her. However, when I go it on my own or "with the guys", my planning always falls short. So I'm planning a July trip to a NFS campground for about 4 days and will have my travel trailer (i.e., propane frig and plenty of cooking gear). The best fishing is going to be on a hike-in section of the river. If we want to get after it early, I don't want to be messing with a big breakfast and will need to have calories to keep us going away from camp until dinner time. Need ideas for a quick, easy breakfast and calories we can carry in a daypack for the rest of the day.

As long as I have my grill and camp stove dinner will be no problem. And if there is enough beer on ice and whiskey around the campfire no one will complain.

Breakfast: pancakes. Fancy style add PBnJ and make tacos. Quickest bfast that gets you to lunch there is.

Or if you have microwave or oven have your wife pre-build burritos, freeze them, then just heat n eat.

Hike in lunch? Dry salami, hard cheese, and some baguette. Mustard if you wanna get fancy. A bag of nuts or trail mix and you are golden.

My camp food philosophy is KISS. It’s surprising how good the basics taste in amazing places.

Krusty

Keeriist...don't make it complicated. Hardboiled eggs for breakfast....with some bacon. Lanjaeger and beer for lunch...BBQ chips if yer feeling expansive. Cold BBQ'd chops and bourbon fer dinner.

Are ya hostin' Martha Stuart or something?

Get 'em up early, feed them a BIG breakfast, pre cooked sausage or ham with pre prepared biscuits and gravy, load 'em up with carbs and protein.
Let 'em pack their own lunch from stuff you set out; pita pockets, cold cuts, cheese, PBJ, trail mix.
Dinner: pre prepare at home, reheat and serve: Lasagna, chili, meat loaf, stews, pork tenderloin, jambalaya, Alt: steaks on the grill always good for a bunch of cannibals.

Or let each guy be responsible for one evening meal, others clean and wash up.

When my family was young and we camped a lot, we made breakfast burritos, very easy: scramble some eggs with chopped sausage and maybe some diced red bell pepper in it, ladle onto the burrito, add salsa, ketchup, cheese, whatever, roll 'em up, and Bob's Your Uncle.

For dinner, one of the things we really liked was a super simple version of chicken and dumplings. Debone and dice up some chicken at home (you could just add in thighs and drumsticks, too), bring some cream of chicken soup, a bag of frozen succotash or whatever veggie you want (you could get creative and chop these up fresh), and some Pop-n-Fresh biscuits on top (I believe I quartered them before adding to the top of the pot), all in a Dutch oven.

Of course, hamburgers and hotdogs always work.

We got those and a ton of other ideas from a book called Roughing it Easy, by Dian Thomas (Amazon: Roughing it Easy). These are not gourmet meals by any means, and really only for car camping, as I wouldn't want to pack in a Dutch oven, but they are all easy to make and stick to your bones.

PhilR

In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey
Breakfast when you have an early start? Bagels, cream cheese, and an apple. One of those Folgers tea bag things for coffee if you want it. Cleanup is however long it takes you to lick the knife clean. And then you’re fishing.

Dupher

If you can read this, you are fishing too close
Do you have an oven in your travel trailer?

put together breakfast burritos when making dinner the night before, in the fridge overnight and in the oven when getting ready in the am

Or take a blender and make smoothies add some ice, protein powder, banana, raspberry, greek yogurt, almond milk, blend and drink it on the way

with the fridge you can do a lot of the prep the night before, and reduce the amount of time you need to pump a good breakfast in the am

Freestone

Not to be confused with freestoneangler
Pre-make breakfast at home. Cook up all the meat and veggie ingredients for omelets, scrambles and/or burritos and put in a ziplock with shredded cheese. Quickly assemble and cook in the mornings. Fast and minimal prep and clean-up. If you want zero clean-up, put all the 'omelette' ingredients, including eggs, in a boiling bag and cook it right in the bag.

Even easier is just make a big breakfast casserole at home. Cut into squares to reheat in the morning. If you don't want the same thing/flavor each morning, either make each section different or make different ingredient mini-casseroles in ramekins, small casserole dishes or large muffin tins. Just reheat at camp. Easy-peesy and very little camp clean-up needed. And, if at home you cook them in ramekins in a water bath in the oven, they will stay really moist.

Last edited:

Salmo_g

Visit bakery; buy a package of cinnamon rolls. I make my own "instant" oatmeal (rolled oats, brown sugar, and raisins or craisins) and bag it in single serving snack size zip lock plastic bags. Add boiling water to the oatmeal and make Starbuck's instant VIA coffee. Eat that and clean up, carry a cinnamon roll and eat it on the hike to the river.

I'm partial to the salami and cheese with some type of bread for lunch, and trail mix, fig newtons, and a bobo bar.

I'm definitely in the make-ahead camp for dinner. Make spaghetti, chili, and beef stroganoff at home and just heat some up for dinner. Easy is my friend in camp.

BobbyZ

Even easier is just make a big breakfast casserole at home. Cut into squares to reheat in the morning. If you don't want the same thing/flavor each morning, either make each section different or make different ingredient mini-casseroles in ramekins, small casserole dishes or large muffin tins. Just reheat at camp. Easy-peesy and very little camp clean-up needed. And, if at home you cook them in ramekins in a water bath in the oven, they will stay really moist.
breakfast casserole is my go to.

Latest posts