Wolves in WA

Salmo_g

What we can't and likely never can know is if the woman was actually in danger of being attacked. If it is near a denning area, it makes sense that the wolves would try to drive her away. She said she heard them barking and yipping before she saw them. If she had hiked away from that direction, I wonder how far the wolves would follow. Instead she climbed a tree, so we're never gonna' know about other alternatives.

P-FITZ98

Saw this on the news tonight, fascinating story with lots of unknowns, maybe even historical, since the re-introduction of these debate starting creatures. Good thing they can’t climb trees

Gene S

"If she had hiked away from that direction, I wonder how far the wolves would follow. Instead she climbed a tree..."

^^^^This
Her 30' tree climbing skills seem to indicate panic mode. Speculation only.
Why was she in a known wolf denning area in the first place?
The cost to rescue her from the wolves... crew, chopper, support?
My cattle dogs would have been more aggressive than these wolves. Guaranteed she'd never have made it to the tree with a good pair of pants and intact buttocks.

carry on...

Jamie Dow

A little late to the thread, but don't blow off skunks; high likelihood they are rabid, even without symptoms. Dog tangles with skunk, kids touch dog and become infected through saliva or blood from the skunk.

ribka

And where are the urban dwellers going to get their precious grass fed free range organic carbon neutral meat? Ranchers Put their cattle on golf courses and soccer fields?

Amazing how disconnected people have become from their food sources.

Excellent points. On the list of critters that would do one harm, wolves are well down that list. Well below ticks and skunks and rattlesnakes. Below grizzlies too. So it becomes clear that the issue with wolves is not their likelihood of harming humans. The issue is that some wolves develop a taste for beef and mutton. Regarding beef, can't say that I blame them; as for mutton, wtf wolves? The solution is pretty simple, if the risk of wolf predation is too great for a rancher to bear, then that rancher shouldn't graze his livestock on public land inhabited by wolves. Easy peasy.

HBB

And where are the urban dwellers going to get their precious grass fed free range organic carbon neutral meat? Ranchers Put their cattle on golf courses and soccer fields?

Amazing how disconnected people have become from their food sources.
If I was a rancher looking to avoid wolves, I'd likely turn my cattle out on privately owned ranch lands, but the golf course idea is an interesting one.

Latest posts