Top 10 trout fishing trips in America

AdrianM

I'm new here
My brother (@ChuckD85 ) and I are scheming to get our wives to go on a "vacation" with us and the kids. We will obviously sneak off and do some serious fishing. With that in mind, what are the top 10 fishing trips you'd recommend or that would be on your list? Some places I've thought of are Lake Tahoe (Truckee and LT rivers), Green River in Utah, etc. What you got?

Griswald

a.k.a. Griswald
1. Missouri River, MT. Float it. Best day I ever had fishing in '98.
2. Island Lake, BC Biggest 'bow of my life...caught on a dry- could not sleep that night.
3. Silver Creek, ID
4.Metolius River, OR
5. Blackfoot River, MT
6. Any river reachable out of Dillingham, AK
7. Yellowstone NP
8. Rock Creek, MT
9. N. Fork Coeur D alane, ID
10. St. Joe, ID

I’d reccomend the Yellowstone. Plenty of sight seeing and hiking. You could spend countless days fishing the Lamar Valley. Or hope over and fish the Gallatin or Madison river. Grand Teton National Park is close by as well. Could make a day trip to Jackson and fish Flat Creek.

BDD

2. Island Lake, BC Biggest 'bow of my life...caught on a dry- could not sleep that night.
3. Silver Creek, ID
4.Metolius River, OR
5. Blackfoot River, MT
7. Yellowstone NP
8. Rock Creek, MT
10. St. Joe, ID
While this is a good list and I have fished at least half of them, I'm glad that the places I regularly fish now are not on any such list. I think they fish better and don't have the following, notoriety, or pressure.

Any such list would be difficult to assemble because of the differences of any angler and what their definition of Top 10. To a hard core stillwater angler, this would be a terrible list because there is only one, maybe two stillwaters mentioned. "Best" is in the eye of the angler...but all that said, this is a pretty good list and can make a good topic for discussion.

SpudFly

Should be fishing
3. Silver Creek, ID
4.Metolius River, OR
5. Blackfoot River, MT
7. Yellowstone NP
8. Rock Creek, MT
10. St. Joe, ID
Please remove number 9. That river sucks.

;)

AdrianM

I'm new here
1. Cedar River
2. All forks of the Snoqualmie
3. Pass Lake
4. Yakima River
5. Rocky Ford
Hahaha. Good list.

So the destination would have to have something attractive for the ladies and have stuff to keep 4 kids under age 5 entertained. All of these would be a little too close to home. :)

Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota's Driftless area is a great place. Hundreds - and I do mean hundreds - of spring-fed streams full of brown and brook trout

Beautiful rural scenery (not some of the stuff you see in Colorado etc., but it's a different kind of beauty. Where else can you find old-stock Scandinavian farmers, ex-hippie organic farmers, and Amish farmers side by side? Only in Viroqua, Wisconsin, the Epicenter of the Driftless. Viroqua also has a great fly shop (The Driftless Angler). The town itself is like nothing within 500 miles, as far as culture goes. Lots of places to stay; I recommend staying at one of the several farms available on AirBnB.

Rolling hills, lots and lots of deer, turkey, bald eagles, beautiful farms, etc. Did I mention that every valley has a stream and every stream has trout in it? Every deep hole likely has a 22" brown lurking. Nearby (Less than 20 miles from Viroqua) is the Mississippi with lots of non-trout fishing, especially crappie, bluegills, bass, gar, sauger, etc. Honestly, the fishing is far better here on a consistent basis than anywhere I've fished in the PNW. I miss coastal cutthroat, though.