OPST New Commando Smooth integrated line

Plugs

Although I've been tying flies for the last 40 years off and on I've never really been much of a fly fisherman. 1 maybe 2 days a year on the fly.
So I went to the OPST online store to look for fly tying materials and noticed the just came out with the new Comando Integrated Comando head and running line. Yep had to order one and 3 different sink tips and the floating tip as well. Guess I'll have to up my game now

854926119.jpg

It's about time!!! The old system was.... Overwhelming sub par compared to companies that have been using fully integrated systems for years. But marketing sells and they did a good job at that.

I personally enjoy the spey lite. I think it's my second favorite option. The head is shorter than some but really a lot depends on your casting style. With a shorter head you can make shorter "d loops". So if you fish small streams with small to medium size streamers then this is perfect. The spey light also overhand casts well.

My personal favorite for streams like the Yakima is the wulf ambush ( the fully integrated versions). The head is longer and I personally feel it transitions very well for overhand casting. If you tend to make larger d loops or want a little further distance cast the ambush is the line for you.

Rio, orvis, and other companies make similar lines. But wulf is a personal favorite.

Plugs

I only have 3 fly rods and 1 has a 10 ft. sink tip and the other 2 are DT floaters so this will all be new to me and learning to cast like that.

Vandelay Industries

A division of Kramerica Industries
I personally enjoy the spey lite. I think it's my second favorite option. The head is shorter than some but really a lot depends on your casting style. With a shorter head you can make shorter "d loops". So if you fish small streams with small to medium size streamers then this is perfect. The spey light also overhand casts well.

My personal favorite for streams like the Yakima is the wulf ambush ( the fully integrated versions). The head is longer and I personally feel it transitions very well for overhand casting. If you tend to make larger d loops or want a little further distance cast the ambush is the line for you.

Rio, orvis, and other companies make similar lines. But wulf is a personal favorite.
What are your thoughts about using the Spey Lite for SRC fishing in the salt?

Mike22

I was about the buy the SA intergrated Spey lite skagit. Any thoughts on differences?
I have the same question, anyone notice any advantages the Smooth has over the Spey Lite? I have a Commando setup but am very curious about an integrated skagit line for fishing streamers for trout. How do the running line sections compare?

I have the same question, anyone notice any advantages the Smooth has over the Spey Lite? I have a Commando setup but am very curious about an integrated skagit line for fishing streamers for trout. How do the running line sections compare?
Honestly there is no advantage over not being integrated. Integrated allows you to overhand cast better ( transition between head and "running line" creates less drop in the line). People talk about how much further you can cast....... That concept entirely misses the concept.of swinging a fly.

Can't mend mono well.. so your creating useless drag and not allowing a good swing.

If your using regular running line instead of mono your pointlessly creating weakpoints and friction.

Mono breaks. I've watched several people go to pull a snag out and watch their heads go down river.

Mike22

Honestly there is no advantage over not being integrated. Integrated allows you to overhand cast better ( transition between head and "running line" creates less drop in the line). People talk about how much further you can cast....... That concept entirely misses the concept.of swinging a fly.

Can't mend mono well.. so your creating useless drag and not allowing a good swing.

If your using regular running line instead of mono your pointlessly creating weakpoints and friction.

Mono breaks. I've watched several people go to pull a snag out and watch their heads go down river.
Sorry, I was asking how the running line section of the Commando Smooth compares to the running line section of the SA Spey Lite.