New Member - New Flier - Looking for local places to fly fish around Bothell/Lynnwood

Hi all,

New member here, I just got a 5wt pole recently and I'm practicing my casting. I'm having fun doing it but my casts are very short, so I'm continuing to give it more time.

I figure it might be fun to cast into a place that actually has fish so I can also get some joy from hooking something. Could anyone suggest anywhere nearby that may have little panfish or trout. I'm looking for nearby since I'm still learning, I don't want to commit to a 1.5 hour drive until I can cast a little better.

Thanks!

Little blue lines are those things on maps that indicate moving water.

Before you create a bunch of bad habits casting get some lessons.,
The little bit it costs will save you hours of grief and frustration. There are very few fly fishers that wouldn't benefit with an hour or two of personalized coaching.

Dave

Little blue lines are those things on maps that indicate moving water.

Before you create a bunch of bad habits casting get some lessons.,
The little bit it costs will save you hours of grief and frustration. There are very few fly fishers that wouldn't benefit with an hour or two of personalized coaching.

Dave
Thanks for the info. You make a very good point, I should just take a class to get a nice introduction. Do you think this might be sufficient:

https://pacificflyfishers.com/collections/classes/products/introduction-to-fly-fishing

or something like this guy:

http://nwflycasting.com/

GAT

Dumbfounded
OMJ is Old Man Jim. He's the one who normally talks about seeking out the blue lines.

Members here aren't really a bunch of stuck up sticky beets. Thing is, we have a lot of new folks join and ask where they should fish with their first post. Fly anglers are a bit closed mouth when it comes to indicating fishing spots on The Internet... especially if those spots are already over crowded. If you tell us a little more about yourself so we know you joined to become an active member, chances are you'll receive more in the way of feedback.

Really, the members here really are good guys and you can learn much from this site. You just need to gently enter the waters... especially if you're new to the sport.

Welcome aboard!

I really wasn’t pulling your leg about the public dock(s) on Lake Washington. There are a variety of fish that can be caught on flies there.
Hit them at daybreak for fewer people and a better chance at a fish or two.
And like GAT said, no one is going to give up a hard earned, close in, secret spot. It’s best to explore and discover what you can find on your own.
Good luck, and enjoy the journey!

Smalma

A number of options where one can practice their casting from a dock in a public park with a chance to catch a panfish or two. In your area I would think about Cottage Lake. Other options would include Silver lake south of Everett, Ballinger lake, Flowing Lake, Blackman's lake and some open beach access at Gisserberg Ponds (along I-5 north of Marysville or Tye at Monroe.

Another option would Fishing from public accesses from a couple local rivers; the mouth of Tolt (Carnation) and mouth of Raging (Fall City) on the Snoqualmie and Lewis Street (Monroe) on the Skykomish. All three have the benefit of also being at the mouth of smaller streams if you want to try so smaller waters (be sure to check the regs - Tolt has selective gear rules.

Curt

Last edited:
Most fly shops will have someone that teaches casting. And getting lessons will give you an introduction to a shop. You are going to spend a lot of time in a shop starting out so might as well start with some coaching.

There are a lot of good books available that are worth the time to read. Dave Hughes book
"Trout Rigs and Methods" is excellent and gives a good overview of many techniques and proper line set ups and how to fish various situations commonly encountered. This book will shorten the learning curve significantly.

Dave

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Me and don't bad mouth me either. Your so called "Pole" is called a fly rod. A "Pole"is sometime some body from Poland or something that you tie a tether ball to to bat it back and forth. All fly rods are called RODS.
There are a few Atlas's out there that are in Living color. The little blue lines are usually on a Colored map of the State of Washington. Mostly referred as Skinny water.

Latest posts