Fuddy Duddy Flies

nb_ken

Couple of weeks ago I was fishing the Deschutes at Mecca. I was coming off the water and met a couple of guys in the parking lot getting ready to hike in, spend the night.

Guy asked me how I did. Did OK. What'd you use? Mainly a pheasant tail under a stimulator. Caught fish on both.

Guy opened his fly box. Stimulator, huh? You wouldn't happen to have one I could borrow? Course I do. Matter of fact, I'll give you the one I got tied on right now. It was in a trout's mouth 30 minutes ago. Barb's already pinched.

I untied the fly, handed it to him and he looked at me like I was using a silk line. He showed me his fly box and everything was foam bodies and rubber legs. To me, a stimulator is a pretty big fly. Size 8, size 6. But it looked like a mayfly compared to what he had in his box. All wiggly and yellow.

I'm no Ludite. I got no opinion on synthetics. Use 'em, don't use 'em, whatever it takes to get an edge. I got a lifetime supply of zlon and crystal flash.

But I mainly tie and I mainly fish with fur and feathers. Does that make me an old fuddy duddy?

jwg

Couple of weeks ago I was fishing the Deschutes at Mecca. I was coming off the water and met a couple of guys in the parking lot getting ready to hike in, spend the night.

Guy asked me how I did. Did OK. What'd you use? Mainly a pheasant tail under a stimulator. Caught fish on both.

Guy opened his fly box. Stimulator, huh? You wouldn't happen to have one I could borrow? Course I do. Matter of fact, I'll give you the one I got tied on right now. It was in a trout's mouth 30 minutes ago. Barb's already pinched.

I untied the fly, handed it to him and he looked at me like I was using a silk line. He showed me his fly box and everything was foam bodies and rubber legs. To me, a stimulator is a pretty big fly. Size 8, size 6. But it looked like a mayfly compared to what he had in his box. All wiggly and yellow.

I'm no Ludite. I got no opinion on synthetics. Use 'em, don't use 'em, whatever it takes to get an edge. I got a lifetime supply of zlon and crystal flash.

But I mainly tie and I mainly fish with fur and feathers. Does that make me an old fuddy duddy?
No.
Curious what the rest of your mainly fish and fur flies are.
Someday, I want to put together the following combination:
A set of generally reliable flies.
A set of minimal fly tying supplies it takes to prepare them- this will serve as both a travel list and as a box of most used materials at home, so I don't have to sort through vast numbers of boxes of supplies to get what I mostly use.

jay

nb_ken

No.
Curious what the rest of your mainly fish and fur flies are.
Someday, I want to put together the following combination:
A set of generally reliable flies.
A set of minimal fly tying supplies it takes to prepare them- this will serve as both a travel list and as a box of most used materials at home, so I don't have to sort through vast numbers of boxes of supplies to get what I mostly use.

jay
Here's a list.

Stimulator
Elk hair caddis
Parachute mayflys in various colors
-- BWO
-- PMD
-- When in doubt, fish an adams

Bead head pheasant tail
Bead head hare's ear
Bead head prince
Scud

Wooly bugger is about as fancy as I get with jigs streamers

I don't fish them much, but I've been known to carry hoppers and stonefly nymphs.

If you can't catch fish with these a) no one is catching fish, b) you need some specialized local info, or c) some guy found a pod of trout that has a taste for purple shit today.

Last edited:
Here's a list.

Stimulator
Elk hair caddis
Parachute mayflys in various colors
-- BWO
-- PMD
-- When in doubt, fish an adams

Bead head pheasant tail
Bead head hare's ear
Bead head prince
Scud

Wooly bugger is about as fancy as I get with jigs streamers

I don't fish them much, but I've been known to carry hoppers and stonefly nymphs.

If you can't catch fish with these a) no one is catching fish, b) you need some specialized local info, or c) some guy found a pod of trout that has a taste for purple shit today.
Sounds like my box. The Stimulator is one of my "go to's" as is the Elk Hair Caddis are the Pheasant Tail and Prince Nymph.

I have tried to tie some foam hoppers and I have used some rubber legs on some patterns and the legs worked pretty good.
Using foam on a fly body just doesn't seem to work for me, to bulky, weird looking, maybe the fish won't mind.
My son gave me a couple of foam hoppers he bought in MT and I caught some nice trout on them.
But for me fur and feathers makes for better tying. JMHO

Latest posts