Fuddy Duddy Flies

I love pitching a foam chubby or similar leggy unsinkable fly as much as the next guy. Nice to throw a fly around that you can not only see but you don’t have to baby into a drift but a good mayfly hatch is about as righteous as fly fishing gets for me. It’s fun to be technical and feed a wary fish. Especially on foot. A lot more delicate and takes finesse and a skill set that always needs improvement. I’ve had a lot of fun transitioning back into trout fishing after a pretty long run of basically only targeting steelhead year round. Haven’t touched a steelhead since the rivers opened and a big part of me couldn’t care less.

Foam flies can be great and productive, but I'd likely not hike up the deschutes with an assortment of smaller, non foam options as well. It seems limiting.

plaegreid

Saved by the buoyancy of citrus
I'm happy to show anyone here how to fish a chubby or hopper on one of our big rivers.

I won't guarantee a fish but I will guarantee you will have fun.
Hoppers are the best. We haven't had a decent hopper hatch out here in probably 4 years, which is a damn shame. Fingers crossed they'll be around in bigger numbers by the end of the month and the brownies will be on 'em.

jasmillo

Big foam body flies work but I have found they are one of the first flies fish turn off too when they start getting pressured with a lot of them.

If you time a big stonefly hatch or get in early on hopper action - even on highly pressured water, the results can be magical.

The one foam fly that consistently works for me, even on heavily pressured fish is beatles.

jamma

I've stated this elsewhere,but I like that you can approach this sport at whatever level you choose;there is no right or wrong way,just the one that gives you the most satisfaction.I approach it both ways,I have no respect for any trout that will take a Chernobyl Ant but then you'll never see me tie on a Woolly Bugger either.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I've stated this elsewhere,but I like that you can approach this sport at whatever level you choose;there is no right or wrong way,just the one that gives you the most satisfaction.I approach it both ways,I have no respect for any trout that will take a Chernobyl Ant but then you'll never see me tie on a Woolly Bugger either.
jamma can be soooo snooty... ;)

Buzzy

I was going through my fly boxes before my trip to British Columbia this past month and picking out junk I'd tied and wouldn't ever use and also reorganizing the boxes (midges with midges, that sort of thing). I came across a few small halfback's that were buried beneath some larger, bushier flies. I'd sort of forgotten about these little flies and how well they used to work at one of my favorite summer lakes. Peacock herl, pheasant tail, thread and wire: I suppose the halfback fits the description of old fashioned, conservative?

But back to the midges with midges box - lots of synthetics used there (in small quantities). Then there are my saltwater boxes.... I will tie with whatever material I think will help me catch fish. Yes, been caught many times by materials for the tier and maybe not for the fish.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I was going through my fly boxes before my trip to British Columbia this past month and picking out junk I'd tied and wouldn't ever use and also reorganizing the boxes (midges with midges, that sort of thing). I came across a few small halfback's that were buried beneath some larger, bushier flies. I'd sort of forgotten about these little flies and how well they used to work at one of my favorite summer lakes. Peacock herl, pheasant tail, thread and wire: I suppose the halfback fits the description of old fashioned, conservative?

But back to the midges with midges box - lots of synthetics used there (in small quantities). Then there are my saltwater boxes.... I will tie with whatever material I think will help me catch fish. Yes, been caught many times by materials for the tier and maybe not for the fish.
I have a big box of emu feathers, some javelina boar bristles and blue parrot feathers...I just have not tied with any of it...I just call it part of a collection.

I have so much material that I bought when I first started out, I pledged I would not buy any more until I used up some of my existing stuff. I have sold some of my capes, given away alot of stuff, and still have too much. You will not find any purple color in my stash... I have some foam I bought for salmon/october caddis. Used it once. I prefer poly yarn - much easier to tie with...

The list of flies provided by @nb_ken are also my mainstay with a couple of additions: Humpies, damsel and dragonfly nymphs...

i like foam flies in the right setting, but I only fish foam flies that are tied with the foam wrapped near the eye and loose and upward facing towards the rear. This way, the hackle and bit of flash rides slightly sub-surface. when the foam is wrapped all the way down the hook it rides too high for my liking.

Latest posts