cellulose/celluloid enamel

heres one for the older tyers on the forum

i was reading one of herters books and some ray bergman fly patterns referenced using "cellulose enamel" (or "celluloid enamel") on the back of some flies

i did a research on the internet before posting the question here but all i could find was that it was a paint? of some kind. very little info available

so does anybody know what it was or still have an old bottle laying around?

what would be a substitute?

i was reading one of herters books and some ray bergman fly patterns referenced using "cellulose enamel" (or "celluloid enamel") on the back of some flies

i did a research on the internet before posting the question here but all i could find was that it was a paint? of some kind. very little info available

Veniards sells their Celliare head cement, not sure if it is based on the same ingredients.

Kfish

That's just a clear coat then right? Use Sally hansen hard as nail! It comes with a brush applicator.
Nitro cellulose aka "dope" is not good for indoor use because of the toxic fumes. I used to coat that on my balsa/tissue model airplane:)

Bob Triggs

Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
Pigmented nitrocellulose lacquer is still available. Usually black, white, red, green, blue. But in fly tying it's most commonly used in black.