Dosewallips w/ Kayak

Heading to Dosewallips State Park to camp and will be with someone who has a kayak. I have never fished from a kayak before and was looking for some advice, or if it is even worth giving it a go out there. Will be heading up this weekend. Thanks!

I've fished from kayaks on both trips to Australia & really enjoyed it, but unlike a float tube where your legs are always in the water & it's easy to position yourself or keep yourself in position on the kayak you would get into position to cast then the whole kayak would turn making in annoying! What i done to help was drill a small hole in a strong plastic plate & use some strong mono to ty it to the side of the kayak & use it like a hand paddle!

Krusty

Ditto on the sunscreen. Pants you can roll up or down provide the same benefit. A good sized bathtowel works too...and can also do duty as a striping basket.

A small paddle does help kayak positioning. Cabelas and others sell telescoping paddles that can also serve as an emergency paddle (on big water you certainly want some sort of spare paddle).

Be careful in boat lanes...yaks can difficult to see.

And, IMHO, a sit on top kayak is vastly superior to any sit inside kayak for fishing.

Would agree with Shad and jasmillo, the canal would be the better choice in the kayak for some cutthroat action. If you fish the river fish the lower sections, might find a few in the undercut banks.

Dose is liable to be high and fast from run-off for a while longer. There are also areas that should not be attempted in any kind of water craft anytime of year. Would stick to the salt for now.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I sat out in the sun about two weeks ago. I was wearing Black Jeans. Damned if I didn't get a sun burn through those pants. I haven't got a sun burn like that through clothes since I was a little tyke. Was wearing a linen shirt when I was small and my mother told me that they had to peel that shirt off of me like you were peeling an orange It burned right on me.

Thanks for all the advice, and leg sunscreen reminder - would of most certainly been overlooked. With a kayak in the canal are you trolling or still casting and riding the current?

Buzzy

Thanks for all the advice, and leg sunscreen reminder - would of most certainly been overlooked. With a kayak in the canal are you trolling or still casting and riding the current?
I fish the Canal several times a year but from a 14 foot boat with three of us in it. Guy on the tiller trolls, the other two cast and swing and strip (near shore). When I'm not driving, I like the boat driver to keep us close enough to the beach that I can splat (Pat Splat) the fly into that zone right at the shoreline. Often SRC are really tight to the shore. A few strips to help ensure you don't foul hook rocks right away and then vary with a swing or a few strips on the swing. Oh, then there's line selection......... Good luck!

Patrick

Ps. Do NOT be dumb like someone I know and use a 7.5'-3X trout leader. You may regret it.

With a kayak in the canal are you trolling or still casting and riding the current?
Both usually - troll from spot to spot and cast at certain locations. I fish from a kayak often, but to be honest if you're new to the SRC fishery, I'd suggest finding a couple nearby beaches (search this forum) and just fish from shore. My guess is trying to fish from a kayak will be more frustrating than it's worth if you're not experienced at both. Now if you're going to go out for a paddle anyways, it wouldn't hurt to troll a fly along. Search the saltwater section for more SRC advise.

Assuming you're new to this fishery, bring a 5 or 6wt rod (6wt is better IMO), a floating or intermediate line (intermediate often prefered), 6' of 8-10 lb mono for leader, and some clousers (olive/white, chartreuse/white, orange/white, etc). A stripping basket (or dishtub with belt holes) will make your life much easier too.

PM me if you have any more detailed questions, and also be sure to search the saltwater section.

Last edited:

Latest posts