Spokane River poaching

Just because you don’t see them or don’t get checked doesn’t mean they aren’t there. It is fairly easy to watch a fisherman for a few minutes and know whether they are playing by the rules. Why waste time checking a fisherman you are fairly certain is legal? I fish the lower Skagit a lot and have never been checked yet I know I have been watched and at the same time others on the river were ticketed for poaching. How do I know? I seen others get tickets and asked a warden at the launch why I was never checked. I was told I had been observed numerous times and they saw nothing wrong. Also I was told my truck, trailer and boat license were run and found to be up to date and the owner, me, had a valid fishing license. The problem is not enough money for enforcement and not enough wardens patrolling.
Because guides never cheat right? ;)

I drive a POS truck with a POS trailer. My raft is 25 years old and usually has empty beer cans in it. Basically I look like a poacher. I’ve been checked once in the last 10 years.

You're not wrong. The way of living the Bellevue culture is extremely wasteful and toxic through all the shopping, lawn care, corporations fueled by the soccer moms driving G wagons sipping lattes. All those on the economic scale contribute to the degradation of the earth sadly. It is the time to make people aware no matter the $$ they are taking home or not at the end of the day. Hence the reason I started an aggressive recycling and composting program through city of Bellevue at my high school this past year. Previously we were throwing away 85% of all our waste to the land fill. Now a year out 75% is being recycled 10% compost and the rest to the landfill. All the while changing the attitude of ease of throwing away attitude. It' our problem we can fix it and and will if we want to see the most possible preservation of our planet. Hope that wasn't too tree-huggerish for you all, just some truth backed by personal experience.
Way to go Jake! Destined to lead!

Old406Kid

This is sad for sure but I think the comments towards the WDFW are anything but proactive.
There's 4 enforcement officers with more bodies of water than I can count in this region and that doesn't even consider the overlapping hunting seasons.
Much of the Spokane is out of view so it would take alot of man hours to effectively patrol it by water. They would have to hike into numerous areas or float it. A jet boat isn't an option since it's a non motorized water and the violators would be packed up and long gone at the first sound of a motor.

My suggestion would be better signage and a REAL phone number to report violators while in the act.
The Poacher's Hotline number operates only during normal business hours and the times that I've called the State Patrol number the person on the other end was clearly out of their element
I do have several of the officers cell #'s and they've always been responsive if anywhere near the area.
That said, I reserve that for blatant poachers. I don't call them to report a clueless dad with his kids but explain and give them a copy of the regs, I carry extras for that reason, with a suggestion of where they could go. Wrong yes, but most are unaware and thankful.

Last edited:

golfman44

5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
I'm curious why this guide thinks publicizing in a newspaper the fact he hasn't been checked in years/decades is a good thing. If I'm a poacher that's just a green light invitation to go 'fish'.

Would have been much more effective to just take this opportunity to highlight that poaching is illegal, publish a $$ figure for the fines involved to deter poatching, and publicize the rules to educate those that don't know them.

Big Rob

Ive called Staters on poachers a few times in Tumwater Canyon. Im not so worried about the RV kids with snoopy poles. Signs would help alleviate that.... Its the local guys hiding in bushes whackin' fatties is what gets me. State Patrol is usually quick to arrive.

P-FITZ98

I used to fish the river a lot in the summer, sometimes 5 nights a week. I’ve been down 3 times this summer so far, but what I haven’t seen EVER in 20+ years is Fish and Game. I’ve encountered and attempted to educate worm guys with stringers plenty of times. This pisses me off, makes me want to know what they were using, lol.

Buzzy

I'm curious why this guide thinks publicizing in a newspaper the fact he hasn't been checked in years/decades is a good thing. If I'm a poacher that's just a green light invitation to go 'fish'.

Would have been much more effective to just take this opportunity to highlight that poaching is illegal, publish a $$ figure for the fines involved to deter poatching, and publicize the rules to educate those that don't know them.
Who still gets a newspaper? And how many "poachers" read papers or on line editions?

In any event, calling LE on a poacher is the right thing to do. The OP did it right!

The use of the Spokane as a food source for immigrant, poor, and otherwise homeless or dispossessed populations is well and widely known. The health district, Ecology, and various agencies have approached it from a health and safety perspective given the chemicals present in the fish and the river. Little emphasis is placed on the fishery. I suppose nobody wants to see people starve.

The photo doesn't look to me like all were filleted, though. Poaching is poaching, but wasting game is another level for me.

WDFW has very, very few enforcement resources...enforcement is a dirty word to the legislature right now, especially in the resource agenices. Hopefully the new director will begin to rebuild this in WDFW

Most of us around here have witnessed immigrant families illegally fishing in quality lakes, or on the river, time and time again. I'm convinced it's absolutely baffling to them, when they arrive here, why we worry about it at all. They've often spent most of their day gathering enough calories to survive, and once here, are amazed at how easy it is to acquire a great amount of food with little consequence.

Only highly publicized cases like the Lenore case from a couple years ago will change this perception among newly arrived folks, and only turning in poachers time after time will provide the information WDFW needs to staff enforcement positions and then target that enforcement. Thanks for the updated phone number, Millsy. I'll be using it.

Don’t kid yourself, they are often well aware of the rules but if uninforced they will not take them seriously. Most of us will push the speed limits unless we know we are being watched! This case is somewhat unique because most poachers who need the protein don’t leave evidence like this.