Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Suggestion for flies rock creek

800 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Vandelay Industries 
#1 ·
Going to rock creek in late September.

If you could only bring 3 dry flies and 3 nymphs what would you bring?

#3 ·
Late Sept. is an interesting time on Rock Creek. It is really dependent on the weather. If it cools down and gets some rain browns will start running up from the Clark Fork. October is usually more predictable for running of the browns. A great time indeed. There will be hatches but are usually short-lived (next front/sun popping out/brief rain changes everything) - usually BWO or a Mahogany dunn for dries. I lean more towards streamers and buggers if cooler and nastier weather. BTW do not forget mice ;)

#7 ·
One of my favorite places on the planet! Weather could be a factor that time of year. It could be hot, sunny, and windy. or, like last time i was there in late sept, cool and rainy.

If it's still hot and windy when you're there you should have some hopper and ant patterns.

Drys (match the hatch): para purple haze, olive x-caddis, Baetis compardun, BWO emerger, para BWO, CDC BWO.

Drys (October Caddis): orange body EHC, orange body para madam X, orange stimulator. see the trend? hint: it's orange! :p

I don't nymph much anymore. prefer to swing soft hackles while waiting for bugs to come off. so: hare's ear and orange body soft hackles. i'll also swing weighted nymphs like morrish's october pupa or a double bead head prince with long white biots / wings. girdle bugs are good too (pat's rubber legs).

Streamers: what Vandelay said. stop by "The Merc" and pick up a couple of their wonder buggers. also, last time i was there skip morris' small olive seal buggers were very productive.

happy to chat more offline.

good luck and say hi to the locals for me...

Plant Water Plant community Working animal Natural landscape
Plant Plant community American black bear Carnivore Grass

#10 ·
One of my favorite places on the planet! Weather could be a factor that time of year. It could be hot, sunny, and windy. or, like last time i was there in late sept, cool and rainy.

If it's still hot and windy when you're there you should have some hopper and ant patterns.

Drys (match the hatch): para purple haze, olive x-caddis, Baetis compardun, BWO emerger, para BWO, CDC BWO.

Drys (October Caddis): orange body EHC, orange body para madam X, orange stimulator. see the trend? hint: it's orange! :p

I don't nymph much anymore. prefer to swing soft hackles while waiting for bugs to come off. so: hare's ear and orange body soft hackles. i'll also swing weighted nymphs like morrish's october pupa or a double bead head prince with long white biots / wings. girdle bugs are good too (pat's rubber legs).

Streamers: what Vandelay said. stop by "The Merc" and pick up a couple of their wonder buggers. also, last time i was there skip morris' small olive seal buggers were very productive.

happy to chat more offline.

good luck and say hi to the locals for me...

View attachment 173107 View attachment 173108
That moose looks familiar. That was a good day off fishing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.