BUFFS?

Are buffs ridiculous?

• Most definitely (unless fishing saltwater flats type conditions and ocean)

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • Most definitely (period)!

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • No. I wear one.

Votes: 59 72.8%

• Total voters

Skip Enge

WTH is a buff? What's with the fashion stuff and fly fishing...are you guys going nose hair? I don't freaking get it...Everything here is getting infected with Swimmification...I am am getting scared...

Gene S

I would be interested in a quality cowboy hat though!
Cowboy hats shaped outback style with the flatter brim with a chin strap for windy days work great. I have a local hatter in Twin Bridges MT who makes custom felt hats.

For the warm months I have Stetson outback style straw hats then line the inside with older UPF fishing shirt material attached with contact cement. Just ordered a small amount of 100 UPF material from a company called 'Solumbra' for future hat modification. For me felt is just too hot during summer months.

If you're susceptible to skin cancer do a hat test. Hold the hat up to the sun and see if light is coming thru, if it is the hat might not be providing enough protection.

Grayone

Fishin' to the end, Oc.P
I wear a Buff, long sleeve shirt, a hat, sun gloves, and long pants because I have had a melanoma. If you want to laugh at all this clothing go ahead but first hear my story. I went to the doctor for something totally unrelated, during the examination the Doctor said what is this on your back, of course I did not know. One week later he removed it and sent it to the lab. Two days later he called and said it is a melanoma we need to get you to Plastic Surgeon for removal and additional tests. The first test, three weeks later was a CT scan to see if the cancer had spread to any other organs. Next was visits to the Plastic surgeon and scheduling the removal of the surrounding tissue to make sure all cancer cells were removed. The doc told me due the depth of the melanoma he would have to make an incision about 4 inches long which turned out about 8 inches long. He also said he would remove lymph nodes to insure there were no cancer cells present, which is an incision in either your arm pit or groin. The day of the surgery there was an addition scan with isotopes to determine the path to the lymph nodes which if you is either the arm or the groin but it can be both. Now you are on the clock the surgery has to be done within a few hours because the isotopes deteriorate. After surgery is done now you have to wait for the results of the lab. The time period involved was about seven, the whole you do not know if this cancer has spread throughout your body and attached to other organs, so there is a constant worry. Melanomas are fast acting cancers. The last thing is you need three or four visits to the surgeon the remove the fluid build up due to the lymph node removal which is done with a needle about the size of a yardstick. The last thing is visits to the Oncologist which will continue for five years. I have my one year appointment with the Oncologist tomorrow.
A MOHS surgery. I have had that. It was not melanoma. It was squamous cell. Thank the Lord.

Anybody seen guides wearing BUFF's? I have. What does that tell you.........personal choice obviously. For me being fair skinned, it has saved my face from being burnt to a crisp a few times.
Was out all day on the Yak yesterday. The BUFF was hot, but it was nice when I got back to the trailer and not be burned.
Anybody seen guides wearing BUFF's? I have. What does that tell you.........personal choice obviously. For me being fair skinned, it has saved my face from being burnt to a crisp a few times.
Was out all day on the Yak yesterday. The BUFF was hot, but it was nice when I got back to the trailer and not be burned.
Dip it into the River or better yet the ice water in your cooler and put it back on its like air conditioning for your head....

I am really glad for this conservation. Yeah the thread changed from Buffs to what the real issue is about ---> skin cancer...

To see the number of members sharing their experiences, whether directly or indirectly, just demonstrates the importance of it.

Everyone just needs to understand; what we do today has its 'ramifications way in the future'.... As @Lue Taylor and I both said earlier " Skin cancer is no joke!

Roper

Idiot Savant
Scott and I are hitting the Bitterroot valley in August and one of my concerns is not getting burnt. My pale Irish skin burns easily. I’m taking my Tilley hat and buff along but need to find lightweight shirt and pants too. Suggestions? @Swimmy ....

AdrianM

I'm new here
Scott and I are hitting the Bitterroot valley in August and one of my concerns is not getting burnt. My pale Irish skin burns easily. I’m taking my Tilley hat and buff along but need to find lightweight shirt and pants too. Suggestions? @Swimmy ....
I don't have one but I'm digging those Simms solarflex hoddies in combination with a hat/buff/glasses

Swimmy

Riffle > Run > Pool
My favorite right now is the Gooch hoodie with chest pocket.

https://www.patagonia.com/product/m...y96fvNKftjQlg4rxSSqC7Uvp6SO-BzZhoClhYQAvD_BwE

Lots of good options for pants. Simms Superlight Zip, Ex Officio Cool Camino, off the top of my head.