What’s the biggest hurt you’ve put on a 3wt?

jamma

While fishing for SRC in a small coastal river with Skip,I laid into a 12-15 lb. chum;on a GRHE nymph no less,with a 7 1/2 foot Loomis 3 wt.At one point it held up in fast slot right at my feet and wouldn't budge and I couldn't budge it either.Eventually it just went upstream with no intention of stopping and broke off.

Chucker

I have caught quite a lot of bonefish on a 4 weight in Mexico and Belize. Biggest of those was probably 4 pounds or so. It’s an absolute blast! The ability to land the fly really softly with a 4 is a real advantage over a normal bonefish rod in skinny water. Also got a 5 pound grouper on that rig, which was interesting.

Next time i’ll take a 3 weight!

I’m convinced you can catch bonefish on a 3wt. I was thinking of rigging my Echo 3wt with a bonefish reel, with a WF3 line. My buddies have scoffed … I am still convinced it is doable … the greatest difficulty would be the wind

Chucker

I’m convinced you can catch bonefish on a 3wt. I was thinking of rigging my Echo 3wt with a bonefish reel, with a WF3 line. My buddies have scoffed … I am still convinced it is doable … the greatest difficulty would be the wind
I save the light rod for the times when it’s not windy, like early mornings and late evenings, when the fish are up in a few inches of water and all you can see are tails sticking up...

You do need a good reel!

I got the wife a 7'6" Redington 3wt and we took it to Rufus Woods trolling buggers.
I told her I put 3x tippet on and she could really put the wood to the fish.
First fish on and the rod was bent double, then broke off. I blame my knot.
I told her to let'em fight a bit more.
the biggest that day was 5 lbs.
She always took that rod to RF and caught many very large trout with it.

jasmillo

I think the fish in this thread show that most fish we would target with a 5,6,7 or 8 weight for can probably be caught with a 3 weight in many circumstances.

Whether that’s the right thing for the fish is another question...

Skip Enge

What jamma Jim said...3 wt ...chum salmon...at the same place same time...it was not to be repeated...though I still have that 3 wt...jamma must have left his on his car and drove off forgetting...he has some such history...sorry bud...but it was too easy...

jamma

What jamma Jim said...3 wt ...chum salmon...at the same place same time...it was not to be repeated...though I still have that 3 wt...jamma must have left his on his car and drove off forgetting...he has some such history...sorry bud...but it was too easy...
Guilty,but I gotta say I bet all of us have driven off at some time and left something behind.But I must remind you,the first time it happened,it was you who drove off and left my stuff behind...that was easy,too.BTW,I crushed the ferrule on that rod which was too bad because that was one of the sweetest casting rods I ever owned.

Latest posts