Sage Igniter

Porter

You would have to be mighty impatient to buy a new model rod. Just wait a year or two and it’s half off.
Haha. Yes. But like cars that update their features every year the fly rod is getting new mini light thread wraps and ultra thin framed guides and snakes with backcast camera ...gotta keep up. ;)

Sorry, I am calling bullshit on any fly rod costing more than $300. When I began fly fishing 35 years ago, I was convinced that the best gear would improve my skills. I bought into the hype-worked for Orvis, then started Filson's first (new) retail store in 1992. I have over the years bought a lot of Sage rods-because I felt they were the best (for me) and improved my marginal casting...Then I bought my son a TFO and found that it was a great rod, and I liked it better...At this point in my life, fishing with a $150 rod works great. No worries about a theft or a rod breaking. Most of my fishing gurus can cast or fish with a $25 dollar rod or a $900 rod almost equally well. I suppose if you separate pepper from fly shit, the $900 has a better finish, and the graphite will add some distance for folks who can already cast a fly line, but it does not help me. The whole point of this long winded rant is that IF you can afford one and you like them-buy one. But don't think it will change your world or give you river cred because you show up with a couple in your quiver.
Well we all have different experiences. I was fishing with a buddy and he was having some casting difficulty. I tried his outfit and it was ok but nothing special. But it was much less expensive than top of the line stuff. Not here to bash brands so I won't mention what it was. So I handed him my Sage Xi3 (this was 4 or 5 years ago) and had him cast it. No instruction. No discussion. Just try this. His casts were instantly 10-15 feet further and much better in getting the fly out straight. We can debate all day long on this subject but at the end of the day its each's own money and only they can decide how they best want to spend it.

Now that said there is one major hypocritical thing that will set me off. Some guy tells me how I am wasting my money on my high end rod and his way less expensive rod is every bit as good and maybe better blah blah blah. Then he heads off fishing in his $60K truck......:D

Is a “5wt” rod that needs a 7wt line to load it properly still a 5 weight?

Maybe they are just making rods so light these days they don’t know how to classify them.
Here is my question. Is it that the rod needs a 7wt line. Or is it the angler who wants a 7wt line so they can force the rod to load deeper.
I have seriously always wondered about this.

Buzzy

Here is my question. Is it that the rod needs a 7wt line. Or is it the angler who wants a 7wt line so they can force the rod to load deeper.
I have seriously always wondered about this.
I had a Sage 5100 FLi. I hated that rod when fishing it with a WF5. One day I had it with me and had brought along my carp reel (WF8F), three lines sizes over the sticker and the rod worked well. Is it possible it was incorrectly labeled at Sage? I doubt it. But that rod was a 2X4 with the line weight it was rated for. (I have a Sage 590 FLi that's as sweet a rod as can be with a WF5.)

Porter

Rod and line matchup is really a big deal. Nothing uniform in fly fishing. So many variables. Fine tuning the equipment of rod, reel, and line (not reel so much) can be taxing but when you hit it the gear will do as you wish...then hold on to that set and fish the hell out of it!!!!

I really think the onus is on the manufacturers to test out as many line combinations possible and let the buyer know the results. For +$800 a rod it isn't a big deal on their end, most especially Sage who also own Rio.

Another crazy fast rod to compensate for the fact that 90% of fly fishers really don't know how to cast

IMO crazy fast rods are much more difficult for people to cast well. For my guide business on the sound it's difficult to find a rod thats powerful enough to deal with the flies and conditions we so often deal with without being so fast that the average fly caster can handle it.

My favorite rod ever is a Scott Meridian, which is not a cheap rod. Are there sub three hundred dollar rods that cast awfully well? Absolutely. But that rod is worth every penny to me

IMO crazy fast rods are much more difficult for people to cast well. For my guide business on the sound it's difficult to find a rod thats powerful enough to deal with the flies and conditions we so often deal with without being so fast that the average fly caster can handle it.

My favorite rod ever is a Scott Meridian, which is not a cheap rod. Are there sub three hundred dollar rods that cast awfully well? Absolutely. But that rod is worth every penny to me
Yeah, the reason why people put these heavy lines on their fast rods is that they can’t load the rod otherwise.

I cast the meridian 8wt. And it’s might be the best 8wt that I have ever cast. Amazing rod. Out of my price range though for now. I bought a 8wt sage bolt off Sierra trading post recently. It’s not a meridian but it will do the job nicely

Now that said there is one major hypocritical thing that will set me off. Some guy tells me how I am wasting my money on my high end rod and his way less expensive rod is every bit as good and maybe better blah blah blah. Then he heads off fishing in his $60K truck......:D
A couple winters ago, I was out thrashing the water with my spey rod for steelhead and ended up in some sort of discussion with a couple guys side drifting. They were complaining that the they weren’t catching fish because rich “fly fisherman ruined the fishing with all their anti hatchery bs”. The best part of the ranting was, while they fished in a pristine looking willie jet sled with a minimum of 6 rod/reel combos strung up, they mentioned I’d probably spent a fortune on my Simms waders and “fancy” spey rod.

Latest posts