Simms Freestone Boots

ScottP

As you can see, my boots are reaching their useful stream fishing life (the only thing holding the Vibram sole on the boot are the Kold Kutter studs). I'm in the process of ordering another pair of the Freestones (none of the local fly shops carry them) and was wondering if anyone has bought them in the past few years and in what size? I'm seeing recommendations to go one size up - when I bought this pair 6 years ago I went up 2 (a size 12 for my size 10 feet), and am curious if Simms has re-sized their line. I always wear liner socks/smart wools in addition to waders, or under neoprene socks if I'm wet-wading and the extra size is needed; nothing worse than tight boots in 35 degree water. Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Scott

majpreal

I have a size 10 foot and have a two pairs of Freestones: A size 11 pair for use with socks inside neoprene wader booties (fall and winter fishing) and a size 10 pair for wet wading in summer. I use thin neoprene gravel guard socks and nothing else in the size 10s and they fit great. Kold kutters screwed into both!

I had called Simms about their sizing a while ago and although it was not the same model, they recommended that I order one size larger that my street shoe size and if 1/2 a size, go up to the next one. So I have size 11.5 and went with size 13 G3 Guide boots.

cmann886

As you can see, my boots are reaching their useful stream fishing life (the only thing holding the Vibram sole on the boot are the Kold Kutter studs). I'm in the process of ordering another pair of the Freestones (none of the local fly shops carry them) and was wondering if anyone has bought them in the past few years and in what size? I'm seeing recommendations to go one size up - when I bought this pair 6 years ago I went up 2 (a size 12 for my size 10 feet), and am curious if Simms has re-sized their line. I always wear liner socks/smart wools in addition to waders, or under neoprene socks if I'm wet-wading and the extra size is needed; nothing worse than tight boots in 35 degree water. Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Scott
They look like mine when I reglued the felt sole on and wore them for another year....they really are shot now, but I keep wearing them instead of the rubber soled replacement that I picked up.

I would try a pair on with my normal socks before I dropped that much money on boots again. I looked at a pair in Ellensburgh, the vendor expressed the opinion that Simms lasted a little longer than Korkers, but were heavier. The “nose guard” on the toe on the NRS Simms would be better if it came higher on the boot.

ScottP

Boots came today; ordered them in 12 and they fit just like my last pair. Glad I bought them last week - Cabelas had them on sale for $119; they’re back to $149 this week.

Regards,
Scott

Big Rob

I just bought the 2017 felt bottom model (closeout) to replace my studded freestones ive had for 8+ years.
I wear a sz13, and purchased the 14s for some extra toebox room, which I got, but the rest of the boot had a bit too much room. I added a good insole, and all is well. my toes will surely stay warmer this fall.