Changss

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I got to thinking how many changes have happened in the hills in the last 50, 60 years ago.
I remember when The road up the N/F of the Sky was gravel. You could actually get to Garland Mineral Springs. There was cabins there and pool. It has since all washed away from spring floods over the years. Used to be good fishing up around that area. Now it's all closed down.

And over on the S/F of the Stilly you could get up to Barlow pass and actually get up to Monte Cristo. We (as in girl friend and others)hiked up to the mine one time. We even went in, but it was full of water back then. There wasn't much left of the town. Now they have a gate on the road and you have to be a member to get in.This is just some of the things gone wrong, as the days wear on I'll probably put more up here.

Greg Armstrong

OldRodsHaveMoreFun
Yep, lots of changes over the years.

I remember driving to Monte Cristo too.
Family camping trip (one of many) a looong time ago!

I also remember packing into Rainy Pass, Lake Ann and Rainy Lake w/o another soul around except us. Our burro was a big help.
There was no Hwy. 20 ("Cross State Hwy.") back then.

Skip Enge

when National Forest access to lakes was not constrained by not enough funds...well that is another discussion ...or for that matter when lakes access on lumbering lands by Weyerhauser and the like was not gated due to liability and vandalism issues...

Old Man

Just an Old Man
No, I was just thinking on what was said about the road up on the N/F being washed out. Hell. that road has been washed out more times that I can remember.

I got to thinking how many changes have happened in the hills in the last 50, 60 years ago.
I remember when The road up the N/F of the Sky was gravel. You could actually get to Garland Mineral Springs. There was cabins there and pool. It has since all washed away from spring floods over the years. Used to be good fishing up around that area. Now it's all closed down.

And over on the S/F of the Stilly you could get up to Barlow pass and actually get up to Monte Cristo. We (as in girl friend and others)hiked up to the mine one time. We even went in, but it was full of water back then. There wasn't much left of the town. Now they have a gate on the road and you have to be a member to get in.This is just some of the things gone wrong, as the days wear on I'll probably put more up here.
You’re a witness to history Jim. It’s a blessing.

Tell us more. Wasn’t there a time you could drive up to Lake Dorothy? How about the route over Snoqualmie Pass when it was the Sunset Highway? Ever fish the East Fork of Issaquah Creek before I-90?

Buzzy

Last fall my wife and I took a drive down the Old Olympic Highway and off that onto Cameron Road. My mom and dad built a house along Cameron Road - had a creek bottom which formed the west boundary of the property. In 1955, that's when we moved into the house, you knew all six of your neighbors along the Cameron and Woodcock Road. Talk about change: Cameron Road used to be a 90 degree bend at Howard Cameron's house. If you went straight north, you were in a field that we hunted pheasants in. Now it is high dollar homes all the way to "the bluff" (Straight of Juan de Fuca). Used to fish my way down from our place to the mouth of the creek (crick in those days) then walk home through Olstead's. Sure built up. Change? Man, all I have to do is look in a mirror.

Latest posts