Performance Evaluations

FinLuver

Funny, but I was thinking about Performance Evaluations just this week. My brother was out visiting from Vermont, and we spent three days fishing small creeks up in the North Cascade neighborhood. The deal is, we’re not taking it too seriously, and it’s definitely not a competition, but of course we’re both secretly keeping score in our heads. Overall, I think I came in a close second.

At times I found myself thinking “He’s doing so many things wrong, how is he even catching fish?” Here I am wearing stealthy clothes, skulking along doing my best to blend in with the background, keeping low and being sneaky, making sure to cover the water carefully and methodically so as not to spook fish in another part of the pool, taking care with gentle presentations… the usual small creek schtick. He walks up, wades through good water, slaps his line on the surface, lets his fly drag, etc., and still makes it work. Really well.
I’m tempted to tell him all the things he’s doing wrong, but then…… naaah. He probably wouldn’t even listen to me, and besides, who’s “winning?”

Funny, I totally put him on the one big fish we caught in three days. We stopped to check out a bigger river, geared up and walked down to have a look. First big pool- the Swimmin’ Hole; people and dogs hanging out on the beach, big flat, open run. I’m about to write it off, then see a pretty good looking rise low in the pool, go into guide mode. “OK, directly between you and that leaning cottonwood, about 15-20’ off the bank in the very tail of that current seam. Go to it bro.” Three casts…..boom! Maybe I should put that in the win column for me.

My brother, the golfer, fishes with me about once a year...I golf about the same. FUNNY...the experience is the same, whether it be fishing or golfing. :)

SilverFly

After spending a day fishing with your buddies, do you provide feedback on areas where they can improve their game? Are you open to feedback?

Do you prefer a formal written evaluation or rather a verbal debrief?

I keep a pen and paper in the boat and take notes throughout the day but I'm curious to hear your process.
This should actually be a thing for newbies wanting to learn tuna fishing. Opportunities come and go in the blink of an eye. So teamwork and timing can make or break a trip.

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
After spending a day fishing with your buddies, do you provide feedback on areas where they can improve their game? Are you open to feedback?

Do you prefer a formal written evaluation or rather a verbal debrief?

I keep a pen and paper in the boat and take notes throughout the day but I'm curious to hear your process.
Where the hell is my feedback. I provided yours verbally.