“Cult” fly rods

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I once was allowed to try out a friends Winston Ibis 5wt...I think 8' 2 or 3piece...this was back in 2005 ish...we were on the crooked...I still wish I had found one from that era...smooth and a slower action which I do love...

Thank you! I've been trying to find someone who'll buy my CPS 896-4 for more than a year and I wasn't asking much for it... Maybe this will help.
I need another 896 or 8100 rod like I need a hole in my head but that CPS 896 is a real gem and fishes much better than rods substantially more expensive. I have its second generation version, the CPX, and it is a treasure to cast as well. Redington should have kept making those two. The CPS was fantastic in a 6 and a 4 weight as well, really stellar rods.

I once was allowed to try out a friends Winston Ibis 5wt...I think 8' 2 or 3piece...this was back in 2005 ish...we were on the crooked...I still wish I had found one from that era...smooth and a slower action which I do love...
I have the ibis in a 7'6" 3 wt that is an absolute blast for small trout, sunfish, and baby bass. It was a really inexpensive rod at the time, and I don't think it sells for much these days but it was a good series.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Heck I still have my Eagle Claw 7 wt from 1965...a 12th birthday present...and I keep finding old gnarly ones at swap meets...I have a bunch of St Croix's of various wts , old no name boo's, Loomis,Redington...faves have always been the st Croix 4 wts...Have a mint South bend 346 8 1/2 ' never used...sort of afraid too...I have broken quite a few...and have to say i am no aficionado and with a budget...No sage, Winston or anything fancy...I have tossed better than I own...but good enough in my situation is fine...I tend to use my favorites over and over...

I’ll throw a rod into the mix I bet not many know of but those that have tossed some line on it will understand. Cortland CL Graphite 9’ 5/6 2 piece. I’m not a great caster but with this rod I’m more than capable of throwing a full line plus. I have talked to a few others who own this rod or have fished it and everyone is amazed with the smoothness and power of the rod.

My wife will get a good chuckle out of this one. That's been her trout rod for 20 years. She won't even cast any of my rods, doesn't need to. :)

Diamondback Diamondglass 8'6" 4wt and 5wt 3pc, 8' 4wt 2pc many of the vintage Fenwick glass as well as Lami honey glass 3 and 4wt's, Winston IM6, WT 8'6" 5wt and 8' TMF, 8' and 8'6" 3wt and B2t 8'6" 4wt (Staff of Moses) all great trout rods with a following.

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
I think that it is telling that almost all rods mentioned are 1 handers. Seems like even in WA state, more people use singles.
Due to my shoulders and my steelheadcentric ways I have not cast many singles for years. I feel completely inadequate in this discussion.
I keep telling myself that I need to get back in the trout game, or at least beach coho.

Go Sox,
cds

Latest posts