“Cult” fly rods

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
Dude!!!!..that 12’7 Beulah was the best scandi rod I’ve put my hands on, didn’t care for the platinum series. And you know I’ll buy that when your ready Bill! :) lol ... CND RODS AND ALL CND LINES are welcome in my house.
Sorry, I'll probably be buried with that rod.. Love it! But let's go fish sometime and I'll let you fish it for a while!

David Loy

Senior Moment
I have a few that are borderline, like the locally popular 697 XP, but my cult(est) rod is the Winston 586-3 WT. The Winston zealots web site had an annual pole and the 586 WT won several years in a row. Was one of Joan Wulff’s favorites too.

Add on:
I suppose another cult rod I have is the “Unity With the Universe”, as dubbed by Tom Morgan. An 8’6” 7wt fiberglass. He thought it one of the best Winston’s ever made in any material.
Tom designed both of these.

Last edited:

Wyobee

So has this happened to any of you? You go to buy one of these cult rods say they range from at the low 350.00 and top out about 500.00. You don't really want a mint one, you want one to fish so you pony up say 375.00. It comes and it is nearly perfect, no scratches, cork has almost no soiling. . AWESOME! But then you realize you dont really want to fish it and mess it up because its awesome.

Last edited:
Sorry, I'll probably be buried with that rod.. Love it! But let's go fish sometime and I'll let you fish it for a while!
I'm the same way with my Onyx 7129, Death Star and Gen 2 G2 8'4". All my other rods are fungible.

Also I have a couple of hard to find CND rods for sale.

Last edited:

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
So has this happened to any of you? You go to buy one of these cult rods say they range from at the low 350.00 and top out about 500.00. You don't really want a mint one, you want one to fish so you pony up say 375.00. It comes and it is nearly perfect, no scratches, cork has almost no soiling. . AWESOME! But then you realize you dont really to fish it and mess it up because its awesome.
Not for me, if I buy it, I'm going to fish it. Just like all of the whisk(e)y I have. I could sell some for a profit, but I would prefer to drink it.. and I do!!

Wyobee

Not for me, if I buy it, I'm going to fish it. Just like all of the whisk(e)y I have. I could sell some for a profit, but I would prefer to drink it.. and I do!!
Yeah, I have had very small whiskey collections, they always get drank. Really, part of the reason i switched to a full time scotch, and bourbon drinker is that my wife wouldn't touch the stuff so I actually could have some better bottles to sip on.

Last edited:

Latest posts