“Cult” fly rods

Bob Rankin

Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)
Dude!!!!..that 12’7 Beulah was the best scandi rod I’ve put my hands on, didn’t care for the platinum series. And you know I’ll buy that when your ready Bill! :) lol ... CND RODS AND ALL CND LINES are welcome in my house.
If this is the one your referring to, I’ll sell you mine....
B8395B2E-CDC0-47F6-A05F-3F3F81E45ECA.jpeg 7E0D2B8F-83DB-4065-986C-4EB3226E8465.jpeg

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I tried to find one, but I couldn’t. Unless you have a rod vault or something similar, that would be a pain in the ass.
Not really if you have the right fishing rig.
Mine will take at least a 10.5’ assembled rod.
I wish more companies made one piece rods.
Not having to deal with ferrules coming loose during a day of saltwater fishing would be a pleasure.
SF

I have a couple of old Fenwick Boron spinning rods, one was a 4 1/2 footer with a tiny 500C Daiwa reel that holds 4 pound test line. About 40 years ago we would take them out and catch 10+ pound Coho on our small systems in dead water.

The Boron fad came and went pretty fast-I know it was still used as a more hybrid ingredient.

Fly rods, I have an old Fenwick glass rod from the late 70's I have started to use again.

Our high school went nuts over building our own rods late 70's, early 80's.

I'm not sure about cult status but the Loop AEG series, specifically the 696-4 is a pretty sweet casting stick.
I also really like my Sage SPL-CA (center axis) and my ZXL is one I always go back to.

Wyobee

I'm not sure about cult status but the Loop AEG series, specifically the 696-4 is a pretty sweet casting stick.
I also really like my Sage SPL-CA (center axis) and my ZXL is one I always go back to.
I have theory about loop that their rod tapers are geared to 9'6"+ lengths where we gear ours to the 9'. So a rod that was built to be a 9'6" but sized down to a 9' becomes kinda stiff and lifeless, likewise a really fast American 9ft. Sized up 6" kinda hits a sweet spot, but the slower actions ones seem rather noodley.

Last edited:

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
I liked those rods when they came out! Cast and fished a few times! Wish I would've bought one to have. Might have to look and see if anyone wants to part with one that's in good shape. I'm sure there are plenty that have seen a lot of use!! As all rods should be, used well and put away wet!

Not cult-like, but I like Sage SLTs. I fish a few cult rods in the Sage LL and the Scott G series and would agree that they are some of the best. Not sure if it's cult-like, but the Xi2 for salt water is hard to beat. Burkheimer seems to have the greatest cult following.

Latest posts