“Cult” fly rods

Not cult-like, but I like Sage SLTs. I fish a few cult rods in the Sage LL and the Scott G series and would agree that they are some of the best. Not sure if it's cult-like, but the Xi2 for salt water is hard to beat. Burkheimer seems to have the greatest cult following.
I think the Xi3 is the best light saltwater rod ever made. The 690 is one of my all time favorite rods I own

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Winston Ibis 490-4piece 5 wt 9'...I dunno I used a friends maybe 12 years ago or more on the Crooked...he was reluctant ...best thing I ever felt in hand...or so memory tells me?...May get one someday soon but anywhere but an auction online...since i don't own a 5 wt... Ha!

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
I don't know if a 2-piece G Loomis IMX gold scripted Signature series 9' 6 weight ever achieved "Cult" status but it's sure landed a lot of fish after I bought it new, I think in late 1992 or 93. I still use it on lakes with sinking lines and as a streamer rod. I have the original Signature series rod tube and sock but keep it in a Harding case with a Ross Cimarron C2.

Last edited:
I don't know if a 2-piece G Loomis gold scripted Signature series IMX 9' 6 weight ever achieved "Cult" status but it's sure landed a lot of fish after I bought it new, I think in 1992 or 93. I still use it on lakes with sinking lines and as a streamer rod. I have the original Signature series case and rod sock but keep it in a Harding case with a Ross Cimarron C2.
The IMX was one of the first if not the first fast action rod and began the long term trend for fast action rods. Initially there were a lot of breakage issues but that was quickly resolved by Loomis. They are great streamer rods for sure. IMX rods are rated in the top 10 rods ever built (whatever that means)....

Thd very popular Winston “B” (Boron) lineup of rods, starting with the introduction of the BIIX I believe some 10+ years ago and it’s many successors, is alive and well.

I do recall those early Fenwick Boron rids.
I think on newer Boron they dialed way back on the Boron/Graphite ratio, those first Borons were super stiff and broke easily.
Funny, now fiberglass is the new HOT material...... again : )

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
The IMX was one of the first if not the first fast action rod and began the long term trend for fast action rods. Initially there were a lot of breakage issues but that was quickly resolved by Loomis. They are great streamer rods for sure. IMX rods are rated in the top 10 rods ever built (whatever that means)....
I had a buddy who used to work for Loomis so we got to try some stuff before it officially hit the market.
We got a couple of 10' 4 wt IMX models that we had just received.
We decided to float the Yakima to try them out and my buddy managed to break one of them before we even started the float, lol.
They were indeed nice rods, but the 4's we had could have easily been labeled 6's.
I fished mine for awhile and sold it as I've never been fond of 10' rods. I sold my 10' 8 wt IMX as well.
SF

I wonder if a graphite rod will sell for more used than they did brand new, I've seen two actually sell, a sage LL around 550.00 last year and scott g2 8'8" 5wt. break 550.00 around last Thanksgiving both of which have to be getting close to original retail. Of course Winston's dont count

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
I have owned and fished Sage RPL's, Winston IM6's including TMF's, Loomis IM6's and IMX's. When I retired I downsized my quiver to be for the type of fishing I enjoy most and realistically am able to do physically. I have not regretted selling any of them. Not everyone can say that tho...
I've come to prefer fishing smaller but somewhat harder to access water with "traditional" action graphite, bamboo, and now Tenkara rods :) . I'm retired and going to hang on as long as I can.
I've never had a problem with my IMX. I get the impression from reading a chronology about Loomis that the "Signature" series may have been released with the transition that fixed the fragile tips.

Last edited:
I wonder if a graphite rod will sell for more used than they did brand new, I've seen two actually sell, a sage LL around 550.00 last year and scott g2 8'8" 5wt. break 550.00 around last Thanksgiving both of which have to be getting close to original retail. Of course Winston's dont count
Just a year or two ago a couple of 389 LLs sold for over $800 on the big auction site so I listed my 4 piece 389 for $790 plus shipping and it sold immediately, I’ve still have both of my 2 piece 389s one graphite ll and lll, I won’t be letting those go

Latest posts