NFR 2018 Official College Football Thread

Go Coogs....

Husky fans....if you need a team to beat the Ducks.....4 times in a row....

You know who to ask.

:)

Go Coogs.....
The Cougs (my dad is WSU alumni so I like to root for them usually) always have the Duck's #, with their Air-Raid offense. Especially this year with the Corners for Oregon being so young and not that tall.

Oregon is the only team I have ever seen who refuses to put pressure on the other team's quarterback. Its like the number one rule in all of football, is get to the quarterback, sack, harass, harry, anything just get to him, but Oregon doesn't seem to know the main principle in ALL of football. If you give ANYONE, especially throwing QB's like the WSU QBs time to throw, they will find their receivers and take you apart. Even the new DUCK OC, as reputable as he is, seems to be caught in this disease. Oregon's Soft Suppression D comes from a time of playing much better teams and just trying to slow them down enough so the Oregon O could put up 45 pts and Win The Day. But if you don't put up 45pts, then you can't give the other team 30 !!

Nice game Cougs.

The Cougs (my dad is WSU alumni so I like to root for them usually) always have the Duck's #, with their Air-Raid offense. Especially this year with the Corners for Oregon being so young and not that tall.

Oregon is the only team I have ever seen who refuses to put pressure on the other team's quarterback. Its like the number one rule in all of football, is get to the quarterback, sack, harass, harry, anything just get to him, but Oregon doesn't seem to know the main principle in ALL of football. If you give ANYONE, especially throwing QB's like the WSU QBs time to throw, they will find their receivers and take you apart. Even the new DUCK OC, as reputable as he is, seems to be caught in this disease. Oregon's Soft Suppression D comes from a time of playing much better teams and just trying to slow them down enough so the Oregon O could put up 45 pts and Win The Day. But if you don't put up 45pts, then you can't give the other team 30 !!

Nice game Cougs.

Leavitt was trying to bring pressure in the first half. Look where it put them. Down 27 points because Minshew found a way to find open grass and receives, or he dumped it to the RB which is the outlet when no one downfield is open. He had to stop doing that in the second half, and it worked. They would only rush 4 and usually one of the rushers would stop his rush and jump to bat down the ball, which also worked. Leavitts tactics are very good, he just didnt adjust till the second half because he didnt have time in the first half because his defense was constantly on the field. If it had not been for the first half, the cougs probably lose the game. Fortunately that was not the case. Now we get to play Stanford where the margin for error is a lot smaller than against Oregon.

Leavitt was trying to bring pressure in the first half. Look where it put them. Down 27 points because Minshew found a way to find open grass and receives, or he dumped it to the RB which is the outlet when no one downfield is open. He had to stop doing that in the second half, and it worked. They would only rush 4 and usually one of the rushers would stop his rush and jump to bat down the ball, which also worked. Leavitts tactics are very good, he just didnt adjust till the second half because he didnt have time in the first half because his defense was constantly on the field. If it had not been for the first half, the cougs probably lose the game. Fortunately that was not the case. Now we get to play Stanford where the margin for error is a lot smaller than against Oregon.
I can understand what you are saying but there is no such thing as, giving up on bringing pressure. If you need to put another guy on the line to stop that run/dump to the back then do so. But just bringing 4, and then saying the primary principle in all of football doesn't apply and no longer works, is not the solution. Oregon was just out coached. I think it's clear that Oregon is the better team, and they usually are, but these two team philosophies line-up badly for Oregon. I think if you traded head coaches, Mike Leach would easily get the Ducks a win. All the Nike money, all those big coaching salaries, all that PAC 12 money, all that pressure to get back to being a great team, and then to simply dump the blame on two young kids at corner is ridiculous, absurd, and unfair. There is no system where 5'11' 18 year olds win the challenge against 6'5" 22 year old tight ends. The coach has to get his players to the QB so the 18 year olds don't have to face the pressure of that monumentally flawed system. This is ALL on the coaches. This is all IMO.

nb_ken

Almost went unremarked upon. Good win by the Dawgs Saturday. Ducks got 2 losses. Dawgs got 2 losses. Cougs got another loss coming up in the Apple Cup. Where's that put the Pac-12?

Almost went unremarked upon. Good win by the Dawgs Saturday. Ducks got 2 losses. Dawgs got 2 losses. Cougs got another loss coming up in the Apple Cup. Where's that put the Pac-12?
I think Cougs have a decent shot at the mutts if everyone stays healthy. Uncle Rico is a game changer for them. I also think this year if any team from the PAC happened to stumble into the CFP it would be instant annialation. Rose Bowl this year with whomever wins it. I think both Washington teams got lucky catching Utah early. I predict one of them has to face Utah again in the PAC championship game.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I agree with you.
Whatever Utah was missing early in the year, you’ve found it.
Glad to see them pound USC yesterday.
SF

Not to be a downer, but as I watched the celebration in Pullman, and the hoisting of the graduate transfer QB for WSU, I felt really bad and sad for the young kid who took his life who would have been the QB this year.

From the scene of thousands of people enjoying the crazy happiness, joy, loudness, to the silence of my sudden realization for the lost kid.

Good win for the WSU family

Last edited:

nb_ken

Did you read Jake Browning's quote? He said the Huskies like to beat teams twice. Once when they play them, and beat them so bad they get beat again the next week.

Oregon looked beat. Oregon got beat.

Latest posts