Only kickers practice onside kicks not punters. In desperation the Australian attempted a short drop kick, but it was very poorly executed. Johnny Hekker would have nailed it.

Buzzy

Only kickers practice onside kicks not punters. In desperation the Australian attempted a short drop kick, but it was very poorly executed. Johnny Hekker would have nailed it.
Okay - I watch my next door neighbor boy, 12 years old, I bet he could have kicked (not punted) an onsides kick. But thanks for the explanation - goes to demonstrate my lack of understanding. Kind of like the pass play during the super bowl loss to NE (2015?), thought that may have been one of the, uh, dumbest plays in football. Still wonder why Lynch wasn't given the ball. Oh well, history. Never thought I'd write this: Go NE!

The drop kick is not at all easy to do. Not every punter in the league could do it. The ball must hit the ground first... Definitely not easy. Dickson did an incredible job with doing that for kick offs this year but the difficulty in attempting it for an inside kick, with the direction, distance, and precise bounce being so important, I think it's silly to express any disappointment in Dickson for not succeeding
Highly doubt its been practiced much, if not all.

Take every punter in the league and have a drop kicking completion and my money is on Dickson in a big, big way.

This analysis from NFL.com may help to explain the c-hawks' jolting playoff elimination.

Six of the Seahawks’ 12 possessions resulted in three-and-outs, including the team’s first three possessions. The Seahawks would finish the game with a miserable third-down conversion rate, going 2 of 13 (15 percent), which contributed to Dallas dominating time of possession (34:50-25:10).

It could be a combination of sea bass being injured and the new kickoff rules making traditional onside kicks next to impossible to recover. Teams can no longer overload one side of the kick formation and they can’t move until the ball is kicked.

The rule change was new this season and there were 45(ish) onside kicks attempted, 4 were successful. Last season, the dolphins kicker had 4 successful kicks.

I imagine Pete was just trying to make something happen with the guys he’s got available. Who knows, maybe Dickson comes up with a drop kick method that’s effective for these situations and revolutionizes onside kick attempts. Then again, maybe not.

Anyone see the Russell okum hold at the end of the chargers game that gave the ball back to the Ravens? As much as the Hawks need help at o line I'm good with him playing elsewhere

Buzzy

It could be a combination of sea bass being injured and the new kickoff rules making traditional onside kicks next to impossible to recover. Teams can no longer overload one side of the kick formation and they can’t move until the ball is kicked.

The rule change was new this season and there were 45(ish) onside kicks attempted, 4 were successful. Last season, the dolphins kicker had 4 successful kicks.

I imagine Pete was just trying to make something happen with the guys he’s got available. Who knows, maybe Dickson comes up with a drop kick method that’s effective for these situations and revolutionizes onside kick attempts. Then again, maybe not.
This helps me understand, thanks! Now I should get off my Monday morning quarterback routine.

Good game last night despite the loss. That’s all you can ask for! One field goal away from a big road win is impressive considering the major turn over on the team. Lots of areas of improvement ahead.

Not sure why @Peyton00 is being a tough guy but it’s a lot funnier when @DimeBrite trolls here. Hope you’re not butt hurt from something I posted. @DimeBrite hopefully the Rams super bow or bust expectations come true for you.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing

It appears he needs to practice a bit more on onside kicks, his was pretty lame.

Lol So many people act like a drop kick onside attempt is so common in the NFL and Dickson is a complete failure for his attempt.

In a quick search the only reference I can find on a drop kick onside attempt in the modern NFL was in 2015 by Stephen Gaskowski of the Pats and it went out of bounds.

Folks need to get off his back. Good lord. This isn't something that is used in the NFL. Why on earth would anyone expect him to just go right out there and nail it first try? The simple fact that he has the ability to do so at all saved us in the Chicago game and certainly helped yesterday. Would you rather see Baldwin or someone else out there just randomly try to kick it?

On top of all that Pete Carroll has been quoted as saying that the high, further than standard onside kick was exactly as they planned, but Beasly was in better position than anticipated and he hit the kick just a tad too hard. So by coaches admission this wasn't supposed to be a standard, bounce up off the turf and go ten yards kind of onside attempt.

It didn't work. They seldom did this year even when attempted in a standard fashion.

I guess there is just no pleasing some people.

Would be like if all of our QBs got injured and Bobby Wagner was asked to go play QB. I suppose some of you would still be upset if he didn't go out there and throw for 300 yards and lead the team to victory

Latest posts