The Bears surprising loss could have allowed our rematch. If the c-hawks had beaten the Cowboys, then they would be playing the RAMS Saturday. Eye of the Tiger.
db52b2fb631e5e66c9d1fbe9b30f19d58871bfe0.jpeg

Last edited:

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
Lol So many people act like a drop kick onside attempt is so common in the NFL and Dickson is a complete failure for his attempt.

In a quick search the only reference I can find on a drop kick onside attempt in the modern NFL was in 2015 by Stephen Gaskowski of the Pats and it went out of bounds.

Folks need to get off his back. Good lord. This isn't something that is used in the NFL. Why on earth would anyone expect him to just go right out there and nail it first try? The simple fact that he has the ability to do so at all saved us in the Chicago game and certainly helped yesterday. Would you rather see Baldwin or someone else out there just randomly try to kick it?

On top of all that Pete Carroll has been quoted as saying that the high, further than standard onside kick was exactly as they planned, but Beasly was in better position than anticipated and he hit the kick just a tad too hard. So by coaches admission this wasn't supposed to be a standard, bounce up off the turf and go ten yards kind of onside attempt.

It didn't work. They seldom did this year even when attempted in a standard fashion.

I guess there is just no pleasing some people.

Would be like if all of our QBs got injured and Bobby Wagner was asked to go play QB. I suppose some of you would still be upset if he didn't go out there and throw for 300 yards and lead the team to victory
I rarely watch the Seahawks but anyway you look at it the onside kick looked lame,the guy is a awesome punter put due to injuries in a bad position. Seattle appears to need a bit more depth in thier kicking game

I rarely watch the Seahawks but anyway you look at it the onside kick looked lame,the guy is a awesome punter put due to injuries in a bad position. Seattle appears to need a bit more depth in thier kicking game

It was definitely a lousy situation that they tried to make the best of. I just strongly believe that if Dickson was not on the roster both for this game and the Chicago game when a similar situation arose, that there is not another player in the league that would have a better chance of succeeding than him. His chance of succeeding couldn't possibly be very high but I'll bet it was higher than any other player in the league.

The kick may have looked silly but according to the coaches that's what he was instructed to do, so looks aside that was the plan.

Not sure how an NFL team adds depth to a kicking game beyond the completely implausible concept of finding someone with kicking AND punting skill and experience. There is no way they are going to carry more than a single punter and single kicker on their roster. The salary cap just flat won't allow it, and scenarios like what happened yesterday are just not common enough to justify such an investment.

Just a shitty situation for a team that happens once in a while.

As an aside, I was bummed when Seabass went down because it was such a tight game where a field goal was crucial, but in a strange way I really enjoyed watching how the team handled it and enjoyed thinking about the various strategic things a team who lost their kicker could try to pull off, as well as things the opposing team may do to take advantage of it. When Dallas scored the TD to put them up 17-14 I believe, I was wondering in my head if they would have been better off just going for two. Going for two there would give them a four point lead instead of three, which would put even more pressure on the Hawks offense. If they missed the two point attempt, ya they would only be up by two, but the Hawks had already made it clear they weren't going to attempt field goals anyway, and even if it came down to the end and it was still a 2 point game, the chances of anyone but an experienced kicker knocking anything but a chip shot game winning field goal thru would be extremely low.

I just thought it was an enjoyable strategic situation that NFL fans don't see all that often.

nick
The coach took the blame/credit for the messed up onside kick that traveled too far for a seattle player to make a play on the ball.
It was an error on the kicker and the coach took the heat.
Pete lied when he said it was planned that way. Nobody plans to lose....it just happens.

nick
The coach took the blame/credit for the messed up onside kick that traveled too far for a seattle player to make a play on the ball.
It was an error on the kicker and the coach took the heat.
Pete lied when he said it was planned that way. Nobody plans to lose....it just happens.

Lol Ok Rob....;)

That is certainly a possibility. Though of course you don't know any more than I do, though I appreciate your confidence on the issue lol

I tend to believe the coach simply due to the logistics of the kick. How exactly does one directionally kick a drop kick and have it bounce up and in the air ever so softly traveling just beyond 10 yards when it's something they never practice? Nah, it makes way more sense that the coaches got together and talked it over and decided they had a better mathematical chance if they kicked it a little higher and deeper. It was probably a 1% chance vs a 1.5% chance type of thing either way.

Did it work? Nope not even close. But I tend to think statistically it may have been a better shot than trying a traditional onside kick without the ability to actually kick it traditionally.

Even when done in the normal fashion onside kicks were successful at a ridiculously low number this year. Mostly due to the rule changes. Considering how difficult it was for ANY team to successfully pull off the onside attempt with a fully healthy special teams unit, it makes complete sense that given what they had to work with they decided to try something different.

I haven't lost a wink of sleep over the game. It is just a game after all. I enjoyed the season, enjoyed everything about this game except for the outcome, but now football is over... And I'm headed out the door fishing :)

Last edited:

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
Lol Ok Rob....;)

That is certainly a possibility. Though of course you don't know any more than I do, though I appreciate your confidence on the issue lol

I tend to believe the coach simply due to the logistics of the kick. How exactly does one directionally kick a drop kick and have it bounce up and in the air ever so softly traveling just beyond 10 yards when it's something they never practice? Nah, it makes way more sense that the coaches got together and talked it over and decided they had a better mathematical chance if they kicked it a little higher and deeper. Did it work? Nope not even close. But I tend to think statistically it may have been a better shot than trying a traditional onside kick without the ability to actually kick it traditionally.

Even when done in the normal fashion onside kicks were successful at a ridiculously low number this year. Mostly due to the rule changes. Considering how difficult it was for ANY team to successfully pull off the onside attempt with a fully healthy special teams unit, it makes complete sense that given what they had to work with they decided to try something different.

I haven't lost a wink of sleep over the game. It is just a game after all. I enjoyed the season, enjoyed everything about this game except for the outcome, but now football is over... And I'm headed out the door fishing :)
Think how you would feel if your a Cleveland browns fan , yeah I ‘m a sucker for the underdog !

Like Beavis said the NFL ruined the onside kick before the season started so the game was over before that point.
They changed all the rules for safety but did not understand they were taking the excitement out of game. They need to shorten the distance required to kick the ball to make up for the rule changes. Then the strategy will be to kick it off the opponents face and hope for the best.

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
I'm quite sure that a Belichick coached team has a back up on-side kicker. Special teams are important.
They did not lose the game due to the on-sides kick though. Losing contain at the end of the half did not help though. You can't give up 3 like that.
The Chickens look like they have rebuilt pretty efficiently though. Good for the home town team.

Go Sox,
cds

I guess no surprises from that Hawks game, just too many mistakes and the play call was underwhelming. The O-line has made some good strides (run blocking), but needs to seriously clean up the penalties, they've been a bitch this year. This might sound crazy, but doesn't anybody carry a backup FG kicker on their roster? I mean, Seabass is obviously in peak form and exudes youth and energy, so you'd never expect him to get hurt, but. . .

Still, kind of didn't matter, they'd have lost even with healthy kickers.

fb

Shad

Tough loss in a game that probably could have been won. When coaches live by the run game, they all too often die by it, too. I guess that's no different from any strategy; probably, the coaching mistake here was not giving up on Plan A just a few plays sooner.

Cowboys played a great game, especially at the line of scrimmage and they deserved to win, so at least it wasn't just a case of the Hawks playing poorly. Prescott earned some newfound respect from me. He made some huge plays at huge moments. I still hate the obligatory shot of Jerry Jones and his cronies mucking it up when the Cowboys seal up a victory....

Having had some time to digest the pain, I'm ready to watch what happens the rest of the way. From here on out, it's Geaux Saints.

Rams-Saints would be fun to watch....

Shad

I guess no surprises from that Hawks game, just too many mistakes and the play call was underwhelming. The O-line has made some good strides (run blocking), but needs to seriously clean up the penalties, they've been a bitch this year. This might sound crazy, but doesn't anybody carry a backup FG kicker on their roster? I mean, Seabass is obviously in peak form and exudes youth and energy, so you'd never expect him to get hurt, but. . .

Still, kind of didn't matter, they'd have lost even with healthy kickers.

fb
Yeah... Seabass had a great (Hall of Fame?) career, but I think it's off to the glue factory for him from here (if his hamstring injury didn't close the book). He made a few big kicks this year, but he missed some real costly ones that could have made the playoff run shorter and smoother.

That was the first time I've ever seen an injury to a placekicker have such consequences in a game. Teams probably can't afford to use roster spots on backup kickers, but I'll bet they'll all be working on some sort of Plan B for next year. Maybe cross train placekickers and punters?

Salmo_g

Hey now, let's not have any ragging on the punter. Dickson is a great punter, and probably the most valuable player on the team. After all, when your game strategy is to go 3 and out for the first 3 quarters of most games, the punter gets a whole lotta' time on the field. And Dickson boots it a good longs ways, giving the Hawks Defense the best possible field position. Well, best field position other than sitting on the bench because the Offense is earning its pay instead.

Not that I'm getting down on Carson at all. Hell, he tried. And tried. And tried again. But Dallas had the wall sealed. If the O line can't open a crack for the running back to get through, it's not all on Carson, Davis, or Penny for not getting yards with the running game. Speaking of running game, I get it that Carroll likes and wants to have a solid ground game, but except for 3 RW passes Saturday, the Hawks looked like a one-trick pony, not even close within a country mile of a balanced offensive attack. Very frustrating for us Monday morning QBs.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
I love Mike Dickson. Can you imagine if he HAD been successful with that onside kick? Honestly, do we ever believe an onside kick will be successful? I don’t, but for a brief moment when i saw Dickson and Carroll on the sidelines and their faces i actually had hope. I really did.

But i think that it’s somewhat telling that while watching the game i would every once in awhile attempt to guess our plays, even who the pass was going to go to. I actually guessed quite a few of them correctly, though as much as they kept trying to run the ball it wasn’t that hard. It seemed like we kept doing the same thing over and over. (I did guess wrong at least twice, thinking Russell would throw it Vannett’s way).

Anyway, if someone like me can guess even a few of the plays, it stands to reason that their defense pretty much has our number.

Latest posts