KerryS

Ignored Member
Now that this thread has comeback to its namesake. I can’t help but wonder about the Seahawks’ elephant in the room. Wilson will stay as the QB for the near future but what will the owner(s) look like going forward? Allen’s sister doesn’t sound like a big football fan. So, even if she keeps the team, which I doubt, who is going to be the decision maker? As I said I think it is likely the team is sold. I believe it will stay in Seattle but new owner(s) will definitely change the dynamics of things.

Now that this thread has comeback to its namesake. I can’t help but wonder about the Seahawks’ elephant in the room. Wilson will stay as the QB for the near future but what will the owner(s) look like going forward? Allen’s sister doesn’t sound like a big football fan. So, even if she keeps the team, which I doubt, who is going to be the decision maker? As I said I think it is likely the team is sold. I believe it will stay in Seattle but new owner(s) will definitely change the dynamics of things.
Was Paul Allen that involved in day-to-day / personnel stuff? Seems that if the rest of the management structure stays in place, she could more or less just leave it be and continue to make money / gain value. Not that she needs more of it.... If she did sell it the big fear would be ending up with a Jerry Jones ego-nut type owner. Ugh.

I think the Wilson situation is far more problematic. The more we pay him, the less there is to go around. The tension between having to pay a franchise QB in order to win and then barely being able to afford a winning team if you do (at least at the current market price) is bizarre. Seems to me like paying the five positions on the O-line two million more a piece would be wiser than paying RW another 10 million a year. (And to be clear, I'm meaning the position, not necessarily our current roster.) More protection equals better run game and better passing game.

Heck finding a better O-line coach and/or offensive coordinator seem like a better spend. But Charles is right: when you look around and see the other options, we can't let Wilson go.

KerryS

Ignored Member
Was Paul Allen that involved in day-to-day / personnel stuff?
Allen put together the current management team. I would think someone like Paul Allen also gave that group direction as to what he wanted for the team. Any organization acquires its culture from the top down. The Seahawks are now headless. It will be interesting to see if the “culture” remains.

Allen put together the current management team. I would think someone like Paul Allen also gave that group direction as to what he wanted for the team. Any organization acquires its culture from the top down. The Seahawks are now headless. It will be interesting to see if the “culture” remains.
I believe Jody Allen will support the Hawks just as much as Paul did. I have no doubt that Mr. Allen made that clear to her before his most regrettable early demise. She may not give a damn about football, but I know she gives a damn about the bottom line.

KerryS

Ignored Member
I’m not arguing whether anybody understands financial requirements. I doubt Mr. Allen purchased the Seahawks solely as an investment opportunity. I think much of his decision may have been emotionally based in regards to keeping the team in Seattle and hopefully bringing a championship to Seattle. Billionaires can do that. With that in mind I doubt his sister shares his emotional connections with the team. As far as anyone knows no directions were left on how to run the team or that it had to remain a part of the Allen empire. There has been a lot of speculation the team will be sold and for a record amount of money. None of which answers the question of whether the organization retains its current culture and value structure.

When Pete signed his new contract he mentions some things that lead me to believe the Hawks are staying in Seattle...

This isn't the LA Rams who's town watched the superbowl at a less percent then nationwide on TV's....

No longer live in the Pacific NW, but still a 'Hawks fan and I am virtually certain the NFL owners will not permit any sale of the team that includes leaving town. (BTW, I lived in Washington, Chicago, Dallas, San Francisco and Seattle when each won a SB, but the 'Hawks were the first team I ever cared about.)

KerryS

Ignored Member
No one said the team would be leaving Seattle, only that it might be sold. But, the question I asked was how much will the end of Paul Allen’s ownership change the team dynamics? Will they become like the Mariners? More of a high end farm team for the rest of the league and where the ownership is more interested in making a profit than winning championships.

"I believe it will stay in Seattle but new owner(s) will definitely change the dynamics of things."

I was only agreeing with you, Kerry. Yes, a new owner, even Paul's Sister for however long, will mean a new mgmt dynamic. Paul was a very unique man and owner, both. No one will ever replace his relationship with the coaching staff and players nor do I believe anyone will ever enjoy the respect and admiration he earned. Had I the money to buy the 'Hawks, I would still tremble at the prospect of trying to fill Paul's shoes. It will require character, integrity, intelligence, humility and patience.

Latest posts