Porter

IMHO, I will say that when it comes to injuries and guy like Tom Brady -who has won everything possible, multiple times, and has more money than most anyone can possibly spend, if he does go down with a horrendous injury or major concussion, I will not feel one bit sorry for. Zero. I will not cheer for it to happen.

Why the F is he still playing? He is like a boxer with bad managers. Why?

There is is a saying in football........Because I (we) can. He still can!

Shad

The Hawks' o-line is enigmatic. They seem to be the extreme of a unit that run blocks well but is weaker in pass protection. They also seem to be most prone to sacks early in games, before they can adjust to what defenses are doing to try to do to get to Russell.

I think a big part of it is that defenses know that Russell will eat them alive if he's allowed any time to throw or escape with his feet, so they try to find new ways to get rushers to him early. They tend to be successful, right up until the Seattle coaches figure out how to make them pay for taking those risks. The result seems to be fewer sacks and hurries in the second half than the first. In other words, I think defensive coordinators take a lot of risks early on to try and neutralize Russell. Fortunately, the Hawks have been very good at identifying the adjustments they need to make to create the big plays that eventually slow the defense down. That's when the great things start to happen.

While they can sometimes look like turnstiles in pass protection (seems like even 3 or 4 man rushes often get through early in games), this group is very good at run blocking (as long as the defense doesn't anticipate where the runs are going). As someone else said, they seem to be pretty good late in the year. Frustrating that they have so many growing pains every year.

We should all be excited to see Russell pulling these games out, despite some shaky pass protection. He just keeps getting better. At least for now, he's worthy of his astronomical paychecks.

Finally, any road win is huge, and margin of victory is meaningless. 2-0 is a great start, no matter what, and I think there's cause for a lot of optimism this season.

the_grube

How did the saints back up QB look? The dude that came in for Roethisberger had a great arm. I thinkihe ran for a 1st as well.
Teddy Bridgewater used to start for the Vikings. Cant remember the reasons but they moved on.
The Hawks' o-line is enigmatic. They seem to be the extreme of a unit that run blocks well but is weaker in pass protection. They also seem to be most prone to sacks early in games, before they can adjust to what defenses are doing to try to do to get to Russell.

I think a big part of it is that defenses know that Russell will eat them alive if he's allowed any time to throw or escape with his feet, so they try to find new ways to get rushers to him early. They tend to be successful, right up until the Seattle coaches figure out how to make them pay for taking those risks. The result seems to be fewer sacks and hurries in the second half than the first. In other words, I think defensive coordinators take a lot of risks early on to try and neutralize Russell. Fortunately, the Hawks have been very good at identifying the adjustments they need to make to create the big plays that eventually slow the defense down. That's when the great things start to happen.

While they can sometimes look like turnstiles in pass protection (seems like even 3 or 4 man rushes often get through early in games), this group is very good at run blocking (as long as the defense doesn't anticipate where the runs are going). As someone else said, they seem to be pretty good late in the year. Frustrating that they have so many growing pains every year.

We should all be excited to see Russell pulling these games out, despite some shaky pass protection. He just keeps getting better. At least for now, he's worthy of his astronomical paychecks.

Finally, any road win is huge, and margin of victory is meaningless. 2-0 is a great start, no matter what, and I think there's cause for a lot of optimism this season.
One of the better analysis of the hawks offensive strategy I've heard in a while. Explains a lot and jibes with the facts. Well done Shad

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Teddy Bridgewater used to start for the Vikings. Cant remember the reasons but they moved on.
He blew his knee out then they signed Kirk Cousins to a huge free agent deal.
He is making over $7 mil as the Saints back-up, but Taysom Hill is the scarier player in my opinion.
It will be interesting to see if Hill replaces Bridgewater sometime in the next six weeks while Brees is out of action.
SF

Yard Sale

Huge Member
How’s everybody feeling about that week one squeaker over the Bungles crap D after seeing what the Niners did to them last weekend?

Latest posts