NFR Seahawks

dflett68

WFF Supporter
Where do you get your information? Over 68 million people went to baseball games last year-that is hardly empty stadiums. Attendance, although down a little was down for almost all spectator sports. The 18-19 season in the NFL was the lowest attendance in almost 10 years. College football attendance has been down for about 7 straight years now. The NBA is just about even while NASCAR has had to remove some bleachers to keep from showing how low attendance has become.

In baseball there are so many teams that lose 100 games a year that they are bringing down the total attendance figures dramatically. Who wants to go watch a perennial loser? I'm looking at you, Mariners. Owners that just want to brag that they own a baseball team but don't give a shit about the product contribute to that. Conversely, minor league attendance is going up. Ostensibly because if you go to a major league game and see minor league play-why go?

Cost. The cost of all major sports is going way up, it has to with the insane contracts that are being rendered. I don't know what it cost to go to a football game but the average cost to take a family of 4 to a baseball game for tickets, beer, hot dogs, soft drinks for the kids and maybe a souvenier cap plus parking is over $230. For many families that is a once a year treat but a little rich for frequent attendance.

Cities with their crowding and traffic conditions and parking woes bleed off a few more fans of all sports and TV and streaming services make it easy to stay home and avoid the hassle. You can buy a season cable pass for all the games for what going to one or two games would cost.

True, baseball is plagued with some real problems that aren't being addressed. But it is driven by big TV contracts and big salaries, a cash cow that won't be changing any time soon.

The same as all major sports.
who do you root for Ive? i love your passion for the game but i've always scratched my head when you post about baseball wondering how you can stay engaged if you're a mariners fan. but maybe you aren't? i love the park, i love the game. my family moved here in '79 when they were brand new, i've long wanted a reason to pull for them - i thought (briefly) we had it in the 90's. but 42 seasons, 4 playoff appearances, no pennants. last playoff season almost 2 decades in the rear view mirror. the results don't suggest they care about winning. at least we had griffey at his zenith, he was glorious.

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
I root for baseball. I want it to be honest and scandal free so I can believe what I see taking place on the field. And I love good baseball, not the kind where the same team loses 100 games each year. If you are going to own a team at least have the self respect to make it as good and competitive as possible. Right now we are seeing teams whose owners are only interested in revenue and bragging rights.

I'm not a Mariners fan. It is difficult to understand how people can support them year after year given how weak the organization is. Perhaps a lot of fans of other teams go see them just to see their favorite team get a win.

I have followed the Dodgers since back in 1946 when they were "dem bums!" and were a colorful and zany lot. Most of my life Vin Scully was the announcer and being the best ever I learned a lot and honed my appreciation of the game. He added an element of class to games that is of a bygone era now. I won't get started on the crop of current broadcasters other than to say they are simply abysmal.

The 2020 season will be interesting both in terms of how much the scandal hurts attendance and how other teams react to the teams that cheated. I would think that Boston and Houston would have a bulls eye on them in terms of how badly other teams want to beat them. By not punishing the actual cheaters the commissioner has established a dangerous precedent that may come back to bite baseball in the ass. In the past the Chicago Black Sox and Pete Rose have been banned for cheating yet nothing was done by the egregious cheating that altered the results of at least two World Series. This leaves a bad taste in my mouth but indicates the extent to which the owners control the commissioner instead of vice versa.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
The 2020 season will be interesting both in terms of how much the scandal hurts attendance and how other teams react to the teams that cheated. I would think that Boston and Houston would have a bulls eye on them in terms of how badly other teams want to beat them. By not punishing the actual cheaters the commissioner has established a dangerous precedent that may come back to bite baseball in the ass.
I obviously don't follow baseball as closely as you do @IveofIone . I was curious about your comments and looked at some baseball "cheating" articles.
has some info about the Astros' and Red Sox's punishment from MLB which includes a fine for the Astros of $5 million, stripping them of first- and second-round picks in the 2020 and 2021 drafts, and GM Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch losing their jobs before they could serve a one year suspension.

The article also as a link to this article about similar charges and punishment for the Red Sox manager

I found this quote from Peter Ueberroth in the first article interesting...
"Let's say I sat each of you down in front of a red button and a black button. Push the red button and you'd win the World Series but lose $10 million. Push the black button and you would make $4 million and finish somewhere in the middle.
"The problem is, most of you would push the red one."

Is there more documented but unpunished cheating going on that these articles don't cover puking all over James Earl Jones' monologue in Field Of Dreams? 1581036233800.png

Jim Travers

Big Greg is gonna be hittin the weights!! Liftin' HARD. Big primal screams putting up multiple HEAVY plates. Bendin' the bar! Just bench press!! That's all you need for the NFL. Look this is a gladiator sport IN THIS LEAGUE!!!

Extremely indimidating!!! Pushing guys into the ground where they gonna REMAIN!!! teeth bared!!! Veins popping from the neck!!

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
What do folks think of 3 preseason games, 17 regular season games and seven play-off teams with only team getting a first round playoff bye if the new CBA is approved?
SF

sportsman

Big Greg is gonna be hittin the weights!! Liftin' HARD. Big primal screams putting up multiple HEAVY plates. Bendin' the bar! Just bench press!! That's all you need for the NFL. Look this is a gladiator sport IN THIS LEAGUE!!!

Extremely indimidating!!! Pushing guys into the ground where they gonna REMAIN!!! teeth bared!!! Veins popping from the neck!!
Jim, I suggest a drink, a toke or a pill... probably all 3 for you.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
Remember when it was 14 regular season games and 6 (!!) preseason games?

Those weren't the days..

One team in each division only getting a bye, that is one to ponder. Makes scheduling so much more important.

Last edited:

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
This thinly disguised attempt to wring more out of the goose that laid the golden egg is just pitiful. More playoff games mean more 42-17 blowouts, more injuries, less meaningful games and of course more money for billionaire owners who really don't need the help. Seventeen is a queer number of games to play and is obviously just a stepping stone to the 18 game schedule that the owners want.

The carrot being offered the players is supposed to be 5 billion dollars which would work out to about 2.5 mil for every player in the league. But are any of them naive enough to believe that they will get an actual 2.5 mil for playing just one more game? What they will get is another chance for an injury after what has already been a too long season. Another chance for CTE and early dementia,etc. In a sport that is on average only 3.3 years long why would the players vote for something that would shorten instead of lengthening their careers? My bet is that they will vote for the money anyway.

If it's money that you are looking for steer your kid into baseball instead of football. The average MLB player makes 3.4 million a year while the average NFL player makes about $860,000. Benefits are much better for baseball players and their careers last longer as well. And damned few of them ever retire crippled for life.

Porter

Someone suggested for the NFL to play 18 games but limit
The players To 16 games
Or a player a total of 64 quarters per season. Meaning coaches would have to play second stringers at certain points and could you imagine two top tier teams playing the last game
Of the season for meaning with their backup QBs because Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers have maxed out their quarters of play. :eek:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts