Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Seahawks

NFR 
Tags
go hawks!
270K views 7K replies 154 participants last post by  Thrasybulus 
#1 ·
Did I miss the "official Seahawks thread" ? I can't believe nobody has started one yet :eek:

#914 ·
But kudos to that rookie Jacob Martin for his sacks on Aaron! ( I love when the rookies do good things.) But where is Shaquill Griffin? He and Shaquem were just honored last Sunday on 60 Minutes.

I do have a crush on Aaron Rodgers, but sometimes he seems like a whiney little pouter. He expresses every irritation on the field. Sometimes i get irritated with Wilson’s positivity but i like that he always seems to have this unfettered calm about him. Even when he plays kind of shitty.

But damn that Aaron. He is SO GOOD.

#919 ·
Oh wow. That was amazing. You know what it reminds me of?

I feel like how i used to feel when i was younger and went on a date with a guy where i wasn’t expecting it to be that great but it turned out to be fabulous and we just clicked after some awkward and uncomfortable moments. Go Hawks!

#940 · (Edited)
Russell Wilson, great 2nd half, and the Offensive calls are pretty darn good, way better than the past many years.

I get a kick out of the back and forth on here..Rams have yet to win a thing for many years, pressure is on.

Seahawks could easily be 7-3 or 8-2, the Rams 7-3 (I know, I know, and all the other variables of 0-10 to 10-0)

#943 ·
Back in Sept I predicted an 8-8 season but now there might be a chance to go 9-7. Four of the last six games are at home and games with the 49'ers and Cardinals should go pretty much as planned. But KC will probably beat them and the Panthers have a good chance to as well. That leaves the Vikings game as a must win to get to 9-7.

I watched the first 4:41 of last night's game and it was laughable so I went to my shop and worked on my boat. I came back in with 3:31 left and saw that they were going to win. Surprised me! I can't understand why these guys can't start games off well and need 3 quarters to realize they are in a ball game. And the same with the whole season, they stagger out of the gate early in the year and lose games they should win easily if they just show up.

And why is it that so many good players leave Seattle and go elsewhere to play? Even after their Superbowl years when it looked like they could be a powerhouse for awhile star players left. What is it that drives them away? The coaching? The traffic? The gloom of winter? The long road trips? Cultural shortcomings? Rain? When a player leaves to go play in a Rust Belt city you have to wonder what the hell is going on.

#945 ·
And why is it that so many good players leave Seattle and go elsewhere to play? Even after their Superbowl years when it looked like they could be a powerhouse for awhile star players left. What is it that drives them away? The coaching? The traffic? The gloom of winter? The long road trips? Cultural shortcomings? Rain? When a player leaves to go play in a Rust Belt city you have to wonder what the hell is going on.
The problem isn't just the players that left, its also the players that stayed. After tasting a little success many wanted their payday and a few became malcontents. The Seahawks complied and kept the core together at some cost to the rest of the roster. The core got older and the foundation crumbled.

This is why it is so difficult to sustain a high level in the NFL. The Patriots are successful because they don't try to retain all of their stars - just a few. The blueprint is there, but most franchises don't have the stomach to trade their fan favorites.

You are far better off to trade a player too soon than too late. Earl Thomas, one of the best free safeties in NFL history was only worth a 2nd round pick on the market. Now the Seahawks will get zero value for him and he's costing them $$$ and maybe a cap hit too?

#944 ·
Alot of what happened, to me, is that the Seahawks were so good in the Super Bowl years on the backs of super talented, low round draftpicks, even to undrafted guys. Payroll was not an issue.

Then they had to start paying the cheap stars, huge money.

Wilson went from, what..$600,000 a year to $20 million+?

I looked it up..made $350k first year..now-

Russell Wilson signed a 4 year, $87,600,000 contract with the Seattle Seahawks, including a $31,000,000 signing bonus, $61,542,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $21,900,000. In 2018, Wilson will earn a base salary of $15,500,000, while carrying a cap hit of $23,786,666 and a dead cap value of $32,073,334.

#970 ·
True enough. I also think it is harder to sustain a team built on defense, especially the way the game is now officiated. Exceptional talent is harder to come by, and shorter lived on that side of the ball.

Reactions: DeadandBloated
#947 ·
I seriously doubt any decent coach ever has coached a football game like the 1st quarter doesn't matter. The idea that the game isn't over is one thing, but that it doesn't matter is crazy.

The first quarter mattered against the bears earlier this season, Seahawks were outscored by 7 and lost by 7. The only reason they had any shot at the end of the games vs the Rams/Chargers was due to 1st quarter points being on the board. Green Bay left 3 points on the field in the 1st quarter last night when Crosby whiffed on the FG, seems like that mattered.

#971 ·
I seriously doubt any decent coach ever has coached a football game like the 1st quarter doesn't matter
You can't win the game in the first quarter, but you can lose it.

#948 ·
At the end, it was a satisfying game. But parts of it were hard to watch. Doesn't it seem like a QB should get better with a few years of NFL experience? It seems like RW was better at outrunning sacks 5 years ago than he is now. Is he slower? Doesn't keep his head on a swivel and see the sacks coming? Don't get me wrong. As a passer, when Wilson is on, he's really on. Nothing I love better than seeing him connect with Baldwin or Lockett on a good pass play. But are Wilson's best days at QB behind him?

OK, and I got this peeve. What's with all the post TD endzone dancing? What happened to acting like you've been there before? All this dancing makes them look like a bunch of gradeschoolers.

Anyway, I'm happy to see the win. The Hawks earned it.

#955 ·
If I were a Fighting Chickenhawk fan I would be very pleased with the season thus far. The team has shown a lot of promise. The defense has been much better than one would expect given their relative age and loss of Thomas. Clark is one hell of a player. The DB's are good.That defense shut down the Packers last night in the second half.
Offensively, they really have run it well. Carroll is smart to devote resources to the run game. Everyone is passing in the league. Because of that rosters are made up of smaller LB's and less run stuffing type linemen. The power football idea is really smart.
Wilson has played pretty much like he always has. He makes big plays. He is super frustrating because he holds it so long but as long as the defense plays well and they run it this well you maximize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. Drafting that punter also mitigates Wilson's weekly 1st half 3 and out show to some extent because he changes field position by himself. The defense keeps it close and they make some plays in the 2nd half.
They were an old team a year ago. They are a young team now. They will likely be a better team at the end of this year than they were at the end of last year. They will need to replace an LB and a WR in the draft soon.
Overall, Pete has done a great job of turning the page on the legion of boom defense and Marshawn based offense. They are a good draft away from being a contender. Plus they should have some money since they should not be paying all the legion of Boom guys. They can resign the players that make sense and maybe even get a player in free agency.
The key to staying good is to embrace and manage turnover. Pete has done a great job of that this year.

Go Sox,
cds

#963 ·
If I were a Fighting Chickenhawk fan I would be very pleased with the season thus far. The team has shown a lot of promise. The defense has been much better than one would expect given their relative age and loss of Thomas. Clark is one hell of a player. The DB's are good.That defense shut down the Packers last night in the second half.
Offensively, they really have run it well. Carroll is smart to devote resources to the run game. Everyone is passing in the league. Because of that rosters are made up of smaller LB's and less run stuffing type linemen. The power football idea is really smart.
Wilson has played pretty much like he always has. He makes big plays. He is super frustrating because he holds it so long but as long as the defense plays well and they run it this well you maximize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. Drafting that punter also mitigates Wilson's weekly 1st half 3 and out show to some extent because he changes field position by himself. The defense keeps it close and they make some plays in the 2nd half.
They were an old team a year ago. They are a young team now. They will likely be a better team at the end of this year than they were at the end of last year. They will need to replace an LB and a WR in the draft soon.
Overall, Pete has done a great job of turning the page on the legion of boom defense and Marshawn based offense. They are a good draft away from being a contender. Plus they should have some money since they should not be paying all the legion of Boom guys. They can resign the players that make sense and maybe even get a player in free agency.
The key to staying good is to embrace and manage turnover. Pete has done a great job of that this year.

Go Sox,
cds
Nice synopsis Charles. Sad...a little... That our best offensive player is our punter! Dime keeps proving he's an idiot...did he move from St.Louis to LA to follow his mancrush?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.