Curt Gowdy PG-40 rod

I have a Berkley Para/Metric rod: Curt Gowdy PG-40 8'6"
Does anyone know this rod? I'm new to flyfishing so don't really know what I've got. It's about 30 years old and never been used. I'm wondering what weight it might be. There's no other markings on it.
Appreciate any help on tkis one.... J

I used to have a fiberglass 8' 6" Berkley Para/Metric fly rod, burgandy blank, brown reelseat, long, slender handle. It was a 7-weight, and my standard heavy trout rod in the pre-graphite era.

Johnny,
That was in it's day, a real sweet rod. By today's standard, it is a really slow rod. Those will flex way down into the butt when casting. It will be a 6 or 7wt. I am really a fan of that kind of old glass and would be glad to buy it from you if you are interested in selling. Let me know,
Keith

Zen Piscator

Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.
Keith, what is with u and fiberglass? I havn't fished it much. What are the advantages over graphite. Or, do you just enjoy fishing slower rods? I think i may have to pick up a short glass rod and automatic reel for little creeks.

East Fork

"What are the advantages (of glass) over graphite ?"

That would be an interesting thread all by itself. My initial reaction was none - that's why everybody laid down their glass rods and bought graphite. Graphite is stronger, lighter and can be engineered to produce any action a guy wants to cast (my apologies to bamboo fans but its true). Personally I think graphite is the best rod building material in the history of the universe. Still, I drag out my old Finwick Fenglass a couple times a year. :) :) :)

Zen Piscator

Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.
just to clarify, the fiberglass used in fly rods is much much stronger and more durable than graphite.

Peace,
Andy

East Fork

"just to clarify, the fiberglass used in fly rods is much much stronger and more durable than graphite"

Zen, I'll take your word for it but the rods are much heavier and weaker.

Weaker??? Nope. Big game rods are either glass or glass/graphite. Heavier, yup a bit. Like Zen said, glass is a much more durable material. Casting...I grew up with glass rods and never really got used to faster rods. Couple times a year I will mark off distances in the grass and go to casting the many diff rods I have, the graphite ones indeed cast further, but it ain't by much. Feeling the glass rods load/unload, bend into the grip, watch the loops unroll, yup I like glass.

East Fork

wrench said:
Weaker??? Nope.
I'd like to explore this a little further. What I didn't say very well was that it seems to me that graphite is stronger then fiberglass ounce for ounce. That is, a graphite rod is stronger and more durable then a fiberglass rod of the same weight. I have inferred this conclusion from the limited sample of the rods I have used (and broken :) ) and from my general reading. I don't have engineering data I can marshal in support of my assertion.

I readily concede that glass is the better material for big game rods and any rod for which durability is of greater importance then weight. Indeed, so heavy is my bias in this regard that all my big games rods are fiberglass and were acquired without even considering rods made of graphite.

The question is which material is preferable in applications where weight is more important then brute durability. My experience tells me graphite but my mind is open. Comments?

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I will add a little. You don't think that the graphite rods you are using are pure graphite do you???? I don't think that anybody here could afford a rod made out of just graphite. I believe that todays rods are a fiberglass sheet impregnated with graphite. So basicly you are still using a fiberglass rod but made just a little differently.

Jim

P S This could open up a whole nother can of worms

Chromer

Defeat terrorism
I remember Curt Gowdy. I think he called the Ice Bowl among other things. Here is some info on him:

Curt Gowdy

Birthday: July 31, 1919
Birth Place: Green River, Wyoming, USA

The play-by-play announcer on NBC for NBC's Game of the Week(baseball)and for Sunday football games on NBC during the 1960's

You younger guys won't remember him, but Kurt Gowdy was a big name fly fishing personality back in the 1960's and '70's. In addition to his career as an all-around sportscaster, Gowdy was a frequent host on ABC's "American Sportsman." He wrote the forward for Jack Dennis' "Western Trout Fly Tying Manual," a best-seller during that era. He still contributes snippets of angling philosophy during current fly fishing tv programs.

Latest posts