Identify this crawler?

Jim Speaker

I seined a few interesting bugs in the upper Skykomish basin today.

This crawler with a thin white dorsal stripe was cool looking. Ideas?

3A9FD6DD-7080-4D61-968F-DE5C4929D50D.png

Pretty sure this caddis is a Chimarra (little black sedge):

6C305895-45B4-4799-A33C-2E77528E2739.png

Thanks!

jamma

I seined a few interesting bugs in the upper Skykomish basin today.

This crawler with a thin white dorsal stripe was cool looking. Ideas?

View attachment 175337

Pretty sure this caddis is a Chimarra (little black sedge):

View attachment 175338

Thanks!
If I were a betting man,I would put my money on Serratella tibialis,also known as the small western dark hendrickson.Matches up well to the photo and description in the Hafele-Hughes book "Western Mayfly Hatches".Again,it is hard to make identification from pictures like this.

Last edited:

Jim Speaker

If I were a betting man,I would put my money on Serratella tibialis,also known as the small western dark hendrickson.Matches up well to the photo and description in the Hafele-Hughes book "Western Mayfly Hatches".Again,it is hard to make identification from pictures like this.
Thanks.

This is from video. I didnt see a way to post video here. I’ll see if I can find images of the Serratella tibialis.

Jim Speaker

“The significant Summer hatching tibialis has been moved back to its old genus and is again called Ephemerella tibialis (Small Western Dark Hendrickson).”

Troutnut only has an adult photo. Still searching but this is a good lead.

Jim Speaker

Found it... of course, Bob Henricks has a photo of one:
https://bugguide.net/node/view/696523

The body shape, antaennae length, etc all look right on the money, even the gill structure on the abdomen. The reddish color of the one he photographed looks like the red specimen I found.

Thanks for the help!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts