Avoiding Hipsters

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout forever
Time just rolls on and with it, more people, crowds. If we are spending time in nature, I assume we go for the non-human factor and constant interaction with others usually starts degrading the peace.

My brother and I did a cross mountain range hike in 1984 for a week. We saw more bear than people, and we saw less than 10 bear. The same route today would be a cluster*ck. Trailhead would have 50 cars in the middle of the week, 150 trail reports for the past two years..

I have cut back on my traditional hiking routes until off season and, because of the crowds, it pushes me to find alternate and more remote places to go. That can be a plus, and unless I lose my mind totally, I am not sharing that info on the net and I stand a decent chance to have some peace. If not, I find more.

Same with fishing.

p.s. If someone brings a cellphone, it better be tucked away for emergencies only..

Buzzy

I worked security from 78 until the late 80’s at all those venues.
I’ve got some great stories, especially from sitting between the wall and the stage.
My buddy still has a scare on his forehead from the wood base of a big bong that came flying out of the crowd.
Great to see everything up that close and get paid for it.

Even got a trip to Harborview to get a shot after a crazy gal bit my arm. I think that was during a Monsters of Rock show.
SF
Pink Floyd in '87? Sec 212 row 5 seat 104 (nosebleed)

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater......Know Gizzler
That isn't a Seattle effect. It's a "just about anywhere in America" effect. I have a life-long friend who spent years as a wilderness Ranger, 10 days in the backcountry and 4 days out. Now when we go backpacking he takes his fvckin' cell phone. Sheeeeet!
Only one way to tell if the poor behavior by the neighboring campers was caused by the Seattle Effect.

Were they using plastic straws?
SF

Last edited:

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
If you can still see a shit house somewhere you havn`t gone far enough, but if someone is saying sqweel like a pig boy, you are a bit to far from home!
I dunno 'bout that. I went all the way out to Cape Flattery, the so-called "End of the Earth," and camped just S of there on the W (Pacific Ocean) side of the Cape. I thought that might be far enough. There was an outhouse in the campground there. It looked pretty old. Older than the hole over which it sat. Apparently the campground managers would dig a new hole when needed, and move the outhouse over to the new hole.
If it was the Mid-Western US, I'd be worried about Black Widow spiders biting me in the arse while I was doing my biz (by the way, there was a 3-holer on the old family farm in N Dakota:eek:). I suppose that it was safer to go crap with someone else than to risk getting spider bitten in there all by oneself.
Here in Grays Harbor County, though, you might still find some pig squeal freaks, probably up around Humptulips.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
I dunno 'bout that. I went all the way out to Cape Flattery, the so-called "End of the Earth," and camped just S of there on the W (Pacific Ocean) side of the Cape. I thought that might be far enough. There was an outhouse in the campground there. It looked pretty old. Older than the hole over which it sat. Apparently the campground managers would dig a new hole when needed, and move the outhouse over to the new hole.
If it was the Mid-Western US, I'd be worried about Black Widow spiders biting me in the arse while I was doing my biz (by the way, there was a 3-holer on the old family farm in N Dakota:eek:). I suppose that it was safer to go crap with someone else than to risk getting spider bitten in there all by oneself.
Here in Grays Harbor County, though, you might still find some pig squeal freaks, probably up around Humptulips.
Were the holes all the same size ?

[QUOTE="way, there was a 3-holer on the old family farm in N Dakota:eek:). I suppose that it was safer to go crap with someone else than to risk getting spider bitten in there all by oneself.[/QUOTE]

sounds like the shell game...odds are better than in a single

Latest posts