Medical Lake Info

One of the local lakes on my spring agenda is Medical Lake. Has anyone fished it much? I know it's a selective fishery with no motors allowed, and is rumored to have some large browns in it? Any info on areas of the lake to fish or rates of success would be appreciated.

Medical lake is a nice lake. Quiet compared to its neighbor West Medical. It is planted with browns tnd there are some nice carryovers. Fishing around the docks in the late afternoon and evening is productive. In the daytime a deep sinking line dredging the depths has produced some nice fish. Let me know when you going I would like to hook up and fish with you sometime. Late in the day West medical is pretty nice to fish especially if you there midweek I know there are some big fish in there. I have caught browns at West also.
Blessings
jesse clark

Medical Lake can be real hit and miss, especially early in the season. I have had days when a bugger on a full sink knock em dead. I have had other days where you swear there isn't a fish in the lake after you have thrown everything at them. The fish fight hard though and are usually very healthy when you are lucky enough to hook into one.

I gotta agree with Jesse and ff4f on this. The lake can be slow at times, but I've never been skunked. Deep during the day, with some surface action as night falls.

Jeff

Thanks for the replies. I'll give it a try sometime soon, although Badger will probably come first. Jesse, I'll pm you next time I go, it will probably be next week. Thanks for the invite.

dbk

I fished Medical Lake yesterday afternoon between 1-3 pm. There was nobody else fishing when I arrived, and a strong midge hatch (18-20 in size, grey bodied along with a few larger midges in the 14-16 range) was in progress. With the adults midges scurrying about like little motorboats on the water, and the large number of pupal shucks floating on the surface, I decided to "bobber fish" in about 10 ft of water with chironomids. With very little feeding activity on or near the surface, I fished a two fly setup with my indicator set about 9 ft above my bottom fly. The fish were fairly active as I hooked four fish in my first five casts (landed two 15-17 inch browns) on a size 14 black chrironomid with red wire ribbing. The interesting thing was that this particular pattern did not resemble in size or color the naturals the fish appeard to be selectively feeding upon. When I pumped the stomachs of these first two fish, all that they had been eating were small green midge pupas around an 18 or 20 in size. While my pattern was a poor imitation of the natural, I suspect the movement of the fly through the water column (that was imparted by allowing a big belly to form in my line by the current) had something to do with the fish taking it. Each of these first four fish took the fly just as the belly of my line came tight and began to "swing" the fly slowly through the water.

Following this fast start, things slowed a bit so I decided to change patterns and tie on something that better imitated the small green pupas I found from my stomach sampling. This immediately produced two hookups (one landed, another brown) and in hindsight, I should have probably made the switch sooner. All told, in two hours of fishing I hooked 10-12 fish and missed another 5-6 strikes that should have been hookups had I been a little more attentive. A number of the takes were very subtle as the indicator would not go under, but simply hesitate or slightly change direction. Using a more sensitive indicator than what I was using might have helped detect the strikes more effectively.

dbk

The black chironomid I spoke of had a nickel bead. The smaller green chironomid pattern I fished had a small black glass bead.

Latest posts