Logging in Upper Skagit River watershed put on hold as Seattle has ‘grave concern’

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I don't know where she got her info from but the Salmon don't get above Gorge Dam. They can swim that far but not up and over it. And after that dam they have Diablo dam and then Ross dam. No fish ladders on any of them. If they cut those trees up in BC any sediment they create will be gone by the time the water from up there gets to the dam above the power house on the Skagit River.

I think the Seattle mayor is talking out of her other orifice.

XP

Speaking of clear cutting.... I noticed a very large clear cut right next to the Oso hill that slid. I won't be surprised if this one slides too.

KerryS

Ignored Member
I guess I didn't read far enough. I got Seattle Mayor and Salmon And BC. And quit.
I think the main concern isn’t necessarily logging but allowing logging of the donut hole region opens it up for mining. It is the mining that is of concern for possible pollution of the upper Skagit watershed and that mining pollution migrating downstream to the lakes and river below.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Have you ever driven up in the area of Deer Creek. You want to talk Clear cutting this is the place where they cut everything down. I had to fix my own post.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I think the main concern isn’t necessarily logging but allowing logging of the donut hole region opens it up for mining. It is the mining that is of concern for possible pollution of the upper Skagit watershed and that mining pollution migrating downstream to the lakes and river below.
I read it all and the Scientists said that they didn't think it would reach down through to the Skagit below the gorge dam.

KerryS

Ignored Member
I read it all and the Scientists said that they didn't think it would reach down through to the Skagit below the gorge dam.
Yeah I read that part. Other scientists say the dams have little affect on the river. Ok, if they say so, I guess. It will have an affect on everything above the dams, everything, but yeah those massive concrete plugs that don’t have any significant affect on the river will also prevent mining pollution from having any affect also.

TDub

glad Seattle is concerned ,now how about seattle doing something about their undersized sewage treatment plants that during the winter rains are forced to dump raw sewage into Puget sound
There's currently a plant going in to do that very thing over in S. Seattle on the Duwamish.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater......Know Gizzler
glad Seattle is concerned ,now how about seattle doing something about their undersized sewage treatment plants that during the winter rains are forced to dump raw sewage into Puget sound
Sewage spills have happened a number of places around the sound, including the one yesterday in Bremerton....85 degree weather and no rain.
Luckily it isn't an ever day occurrence like it has been for years with our neighbors to the north.
SF

Salmo_g

Worth noting is that BC doesn't have anywhere near the environmental restrictions on logging that WA state does. A clear cut in BC isn't finished until it goes from horizon to horizon. This won't have much, if any, measurable effect on salmon in the Skagit, but it will definitely adversely affect rainbow and bull trout in BC and Ross Lake. BC's economy is based on resource extraction, so it's kind of hard to convince the government to protect the best native wild trout populations in BC's lower mainland. And mining, if it comes to pass, based on the track record, is dead certain to really fvck up trout habitat. I notice that the logged area in the doughnut hole is very near the headwaters of the Skagit. Typically, the higher in elevation and the steeper the slopes, the more damage the road building and logging does. I'd bet dollars to doughnut holes (no pun intended) that the new roads produce a mass wasting event within the next few years, adding a huge sediment load to the upper Skagit River.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
Sewage spills have happened a number of places around the sound, including the one yesterday in Bremerton....85 degree weather and no rain.
Luckily it isn't an ever day occurrence like it has been for years with our neighbors to the north.
SF
Victoria B.C. dumps raw sewage into the straits every day, hard to believe it has a tourist based economy and still does this.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
Worth noting is that BC doesn't have anywhere near the environmental restrictions on logging that WA state does. A clear cut in BC isn't finished until it goes from horizon to horizon. This won't have much, if any, measurable effect on salmon in the Skagit, but it will definitely adversely affect rainbow and bull trout in BC and Ross Lake. BC's economy is based on resource extraction, so it's kind of hard to convince the government to protect the best native wild trout populations in BC's lower mainland. And mining, if it comes to pass, based on the track record, is dead certain to really fvck up trout habitat. I notice that the logged area in the doughnut hole is very near the headwaters of the Skagit. Typically, the higher in elevation and the steeper the slopes, the more damage the road building and logging does. I'd bet dollars to doughnut holes (no pun intended) that the new roads produce a mass wasting event within the next few years, adding a huge sediment load to the upper Skagit River.
just look at the Klondike region of Canada & see the environmental damage that's been legally happening for many decades in the quest for Gold.Canadians have very few environmental laws when it comes to forest & stream damage

Latest posts