Sunday 5/1 - Maden Voyage on Yak

Well, I finally did my madden voyage with my wood drift boat. First off, I would like to personally thank TheShadKing for his great guidance on rowing and overall sarcasm/humor on Sunday. ;) I couldn't have done it without you!

Ran the KOA to Ringer run from 11:30-6:30. This is definitely a challenging run for a novice rower. With only a few areas which got my heart pumping we did fine. There are a few stringers across a few of the runs but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Overall, the boat handled great. Amazingly enough, I received no scratches even though the sound of the boat going across the rocks and a few branches rubbing. IMO, this was a great learning run but if you are not comfortable with rowing and reading the river, I would not recommend this stretch!

Fishing was interesting. There was a TON of caddis in the air and on the water. We really didn't see that many risers even with the amount of caddis flying around. The salmon smolts were all over the place going after the caddis. We had a few nice hits and got a few decent but smaller bows in hand. Even though we didn't catch many, we had a great time on the river.

I definitely learned a lot yesterday on how the currents move the boat around and how the boat handles different conditions.

Thick Caddis:

Little but nice Yak bow that nailed the fly on the top:

Rowing - TheShadKing sitting in the back:

At ringer takeout:

In "Taking out at Ringer" are you wearing a lifejacket? I just purchased a drift boat and I am looking to get some that work well fishing. Does it work well?

Jeff

Davy

echo SteveB - nice !!! good idea on the LJ in that stretch too.What,? is it maiden voyage week? mine was last Wednesday .

Jim Kerr

First, what a georgous boat a pleasure to row I am sure . Second, you've got the right attitude. So many people get boats and get dissapointed because they don't immedately start catching more fish. First you learn to row safely, then you learn to row comfortably, then worry about the fish, in a nice boat, getting there is half the fun.

Jeff Wood said:
In "Taking out at Ringer" are you wearing a lifejacket? I just purchased a drift boat and I am looking to get some that work well fishing. Does it work well?

Jeff
Hi Jeff,
Yes, I'm wearing a kayaking vest from Stohlquist. This was my first time using it and I found it to not being restrictive at all. Good mobility and its very comfortable.

James

nomlasder said:
Great to hear the trip was a success. Let me know next time you are heading over. We'll make a wood armada.
Thanks Ross.

I'm probably heading back over to the Yak in June since every weekend in May is booked including Memorial Day weekend where I'll be Jackson Wy floating the Snake for a wood boat show. I'll ping you and we'll make a wood armada. :)

James

Bob Triggs

Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
Congratulations James, the boat is beautiful. Looks even better in the water now. Just awesome work. Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas on dealing with MBW and the plans?

nomlasder

Great James, geez you may see a couple of my boats in Jackson. Crude that they will be in comparison.

Anyway, we certainly don't need to waste a week-end to play hooky. Hack-hack, I'm feeling a bit uh, sick.

Just let me know. No drama

those boats are beautiful, whether built by them or some one else. I especially like the skiff model. I am guessing that is the kingfisher or free stone? I am assuming it is built on a montana boatbuilders blueprint. Very nic work and glad you caught some fish!

Dan Soltau said:
those boats are beautiful, whether built by them or some one else. I especially like the skiff model. I am guessing that is the kingfisher or free stone? I am assuming it is built on a montana boatbuilders blueprint. Very nic work and glad you caught some fish!
Hi Dan,
This is a Freestone 15 Guide built from MBB blueprints. The plans from MBB are really good and easy to follow for a novice wood worker.

James

James what a beautiful boat.

The fish in the Yak can be a tough nut to crack. I floated it last Friday, and there were a lot of rising fish, but the bigger fish all fell to the emerger.

Latest posts