Rabbit Strip WBs

GAT

Dumbfounded
Here's my latest experiment. I'm trying rabbit strips instead of hackle feathers for WBs.

They may work for warmwater species. They may work for trout. They may not work worth a hoot! As always, the fish decide if the experimental flies are viable.

rabbit strip WBs web.jpg

FinLuver

Experiment with some with the top/bottom cut , leaving long hair on the sides. Then try cutting some with just the sides cut, leaving long hair vertical.

GAT

Dumbfounded
I don't know if the fur fibers will "pulsate" as does feather fibers in the water. They may just cling together and become a glob ahead of the marabou. I'll need to watch them below the surface to see how they react.

Triggw

I don't know if the fur fibers will "pulsate" as does feather fibers in the water. They may just cling together and become a glob ahead of the marabou. I'll need to watch them below the surface to see how they react.
Similar to a generic "bunny leech," except you've got the marabou tail rather than another bunny strip. Down side is they soak up water and are heavy to cast when wet.

Oh the bunny moves amazing in the water. One way to make them easier to cast is to put the bunny in a loop and cut off the hide, then wrap the bunny dubbing loop.

GAT

Dumbfounded
I leave the hide on to make it easier to wrap the body. I'm accustomed to casting heavy patterns so that's a not a problem for me. Fishing for bass with big bugs over the years has taught me some tricks for handling heavy patterns.

I tie and fish Doug McKnight's Pigpen Leech. Easy tie. Google it for the video. Marabou tail and he uses rabbit fur twisted up in a dubbing loop. I use pine squirrel on the hide and just palmer it forward. Works well and looks good.

GAT

Dumbfounded
So much for that experiment. Tried the flies this weekend for both trout and smallmouth. Any trout in the lake were not touched by me but I did catch some smallmouth so they were available and willing to bite -- but not the pattern shown above.

I was concerned that the rabbit fur would collapse into a black blob and that is exactly what it did. I could not get the pattern to flare between strips as I hoped it would. Thus, the fish test was a failure.

I get my kicks from experimenting with tying flies and testing them on fish. In this case, the pattern might work for LMB but had no positive effect when used for trout and smallmouth.... of course if there were no trout within 20 miles from where I was fishing I guess I don't really know if the thing works for trout....:confused:

I may try the pattern for LMB and somewhere I know the trout are available but truthfully, the fly doesn't perform as I'd hoped so I doubt if it will ever be a hit for much of anything.

A swing and a miss....

Latest posts