Article Best reason for visiting a Fly Shop?

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I try to buy all my flies and tippet spools at a fly shop. I did buy two of my rods at one here in Dillon. It was Uncle Bob's but he has since got new owners. I did shop at Frontier Angler as that is where I buy most of the flies I get, plus I get flies from some on this web site. When in Washington I did use All About the Fly.

Salmo_g

The best reason I visit a fly shop is to get stuff. Visiting with people in a fly shop is the worst. They're full of fly fishermen, wanna' be fly fishermen, and posers. Some of the most annoying people in the world. I could never work in a fly shop; ya' have to deal with fly fishermen. All the damn day long.

nwtroutguy

The Tug Is The Drug
Karma I would say. Support your local or a shop that is close by. Most guys are pretty cool about info. Since I am a streamer junkie I like to buy a few flies that I may not have or have seen before. To me, this is a little payback for the info.

Rob Allen

I am a capitalist. I believe people should shop where they prefer to shop and buy things of the quality and price they want and can afford. There are good and bad customer service people in fly shops, box stores and internet businesses. Likewise there are both ignorant and knowledgeable people in all of these as well.
This is an issue with no moral or ethics associated with it. Shop where you are treated well and where you can get what you need without guilt or a sense of superiority.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
i worked in a fly shop as a kid. I stop-in and pick-up a few things whenever I'm in a town that has one. Unfortunately, the Tri-Cities no longer has a fly shop & the last one was plumb worthless.

I support local shops with my smaller purchases but when it comes to rods and reels I just can't stomach paying full retail when I can find even new stuff on the internet for way less money. But here is my biggest issue.

With the advent of the internet the need to visit a local shop to get fishing intel has fallen much by the wayside. Sure when I visit my local shop I get some REAL intel since I have been spending money and time in there for 30 years. But when I visit some shop where they don't know me from Adam I am not typically getting any better intel than I picked off a internet forum. So I may buy a tshirt, a couple of flies, or a hat and when I get to the spot they suggested I find 10 other guys there. They all got the same suggestion.....lol.

Count me in as a fly shop slut as well. Give me a good fly shop with friendly staff, and a shop dog to pet and I am a pretty happy camper. I buy all of my smaller purchases at fly shops choosing to support them. My local shop does a lot of classes, seminars etc. I think these are important to teach newbies bout fly fishing and get people involved. Also a lot of conservation efforts on local waters

But the internet definitely makes it tough on buying more expensive gear locally. Rods, reels and such I buy online.

Also their are fly shops that I have been in. Usually in touristy type locations that have rubbed me the wrong way.

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
I am a capitalist. I believe people should shop where they prefer to shop and buy things of the quality and price they want and can afford. There are good and bad customer service people in fly shops, box stores and internet businesses. Likewise there are both ignorant and knowledgeable people in all of these as well.
This is an issue with no moral or ethics associated with it. Shop where you are treated well and where you can get what you need without guilt or a sense of superiority.
Crap, I kind of agree with Rob on this one.

Rob Allen

Best reason to visit a fly shop...support the local and the inevitable BS'ing...if they won't BS with you a bit ...i won't come back...these are not the times for elitism or nose hair behavior.

I don't think that not bsing has much to do with elitism. It has to do with employees needing to get a wide variety of tasks done to make a business profitable. We live in a world of high competition that means employees need to be making money for the business during their whole shift. Bsing doesn't pay the bills anymore. Sad that that part of the business is going away but that's just the world we live in these days.

That said i spent 20 minutes in a fly shop in Bozeman and never even got a greeting. I'll never go into rivers edge again. Wasn't an elitist thing it was a not caring thing.

Fins and feathers gets my business in that town.. i have been told that the new shop there is friendly too.

Skip Enge

Rob that is my gauge...terminology might ruffle for those that work in a shop or own one...always liked the Mt Hood fly shop and mark Nobles Greased Line...some don't agree...some say bad things about shops, as with some in the past talking down Mark...i was his friend...I bought plenty over 30 years and dropped in to Bs plenty too...loved the stories as much as the products...became sort of family or at least a distant red headed step child or uncle whom I liked.

jasmillo

Curious, has anyone gotten good “intel” in a fly shop? I mean, stuff you did not know already or could not find on your own with a few mouse clicks.

I go into my local shop 2-3 times a month. Nearly always to buy fly tying materials. I tie for personal use (not in bulk) so the convenience of getting something quick outweighs saving 30 cents getting it online (for most items). I’ve bought a couple of reels from them in two years and a pair of waders as well - just because I could not find the same items cheaper anywhere else.

In the end, I am not a let’s shoot the shit for an hour and a half in the fly shop type of guy but I’m friendly and have talked shop for 5-10, maybe 15 minutes with employees. In four years, they have not given me a single piece of intel I did not know already, even when I first moved here. I just think that aspect of the fly shop experience is way overblown.

If I was here on two day business trip, the recommendation to check out Purdy or Point No Point might have been beneficial. To locals...not so much.

Latest posts