NFR Victoria Recommendations

mtskibum16

My wife and I are thinking about a really last minute trip to Victoria BC tomorrow. We've never been. Looking for recommendations on lodging, must do activities, and food/beer. Leaving in the morning, so anything you have is appreciated.

Buzzy

How "spendy" are you willing to dole out? My wife and I have stayed at The Empress several times - once even with a "room with a view" (we did it for our 20th and 25th)...... great museums, Butchart Gardens, drive down the coast roads. If you have time, head up island, lovely drive.

mtskibum16

@Buzzy Probably just normal mid level kind of thing. Looks like there are a ton of options in the ~$200/night range near the inner harbor. Trying to narrow them down.

David Loy

Senior Moment
Boy, I had incredibly good meals at the Heralds Street Cafe. Probably a good thing I don’t live there cause I’d have lunch there every day. This is 12 year old information, but it would be worth a try once at least.

para_adams

Favorites:
Irish Times Pub for afternoon live Celtic music and killer Tug Boat IPA
The Rebar for breakfast or lunch
Murchies just because it feel so Victoria
Inner Harbor for a weird but fun mix of street buskers

Have fun!

Buzzy

Stayed here once. Neat newer boutique hotel close in. I'd recommend you consider it: https://www.oswegohotelvictoria.com

Stop in Robinson's Outdoor Store on Broad Street if you have time; neat fly shop upstairs w/ a nice selection of Polar Bear..................

I realize this is late..........
Did you get the warning when paying for the polar bear "you know, not legal to take back to the States"....? I paid with Canadian $, didn't really talk so my accent didn't give me away, I guess buying two packages of polar bear was hint enough.

Thanks for the tips guys. Busy night so we're just packing now. Gonna book a place and figure out the rest on the way. The polar bear is tempting.

Speaking of money, my cards are good to use there, but will they accept American $ or just Canadian? I can always get some CAD from an ATM.

1morecast

Thanks for the tips guys. Busy night so we're just packing now. Gonna book a place and figure out the rest on the way. The polar bear is tempting.

Speaking of money, my cards are good to use there, but will they accept American $ or just Canadian? I can always get some CAD from an ATM.

most places will accept American coin. They do not calculate the exchange and they will give you change in Canadian money. I do the ATM thing when I get over there.

Did you get the warning when paying for the polar bear "you know, not legal to take back to the States"....? I paid with Canadian $, didn't really talk so my accent didn't give me away, I guess buying two packages of polar bear was hint enough.
I don't remember any warning, but there could have been one..... But, speaking of PB hair, GUN Fishinin in Merritt has some killer stuff; long hair for beautiful streamers/Clousers.... Just sayn'...

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
I'll message you with some more information. Downtown is really walkable. They have a bunch of breweries, but they also have some great tap houses. Look up a brewery and tap house map.

Latest posts