Who slayed 'em on the lake opener

I knew Saturday would be a zoo so I took my son (9 yo) to McIntosh Lake near Tenino on Sunday.

We trolled an olive leach pattern on a floating line (copper bead head version) and, much to his delight, boated 7 "catchables" within an hour, with lots of hits in between.

I think finally satisfied his need to "catch fish" while showing him how flies can beat the power bait crowd.

True confession time: who else was out there?

Now if I can just figure out how to make these hatchery trout edible table fare. . .

I was at one of the openers at about 5am, but only caught a couple until 11. Problem was that i was missing all the strikes, and there were many of them. It was quite a zoo out there though. Didn't hear any flaring tempers from the bait chuckers though.

IveofIone

At Browns Lake it was a laid back day with no crowds-maybe 2 dozen fishermen over the course of the day. A perfect day, lots of fish, they took everything, we all hammered them. A splendid time was had by all. My biggest fish was 18'' but several bows and cuttbows were caught in the 20''+ range. Ive

Ivebrakesforlakes

Willie Bodger

Still, nothing clever to say...
Zen Piscator said:
Well, I slayed them, but it wasn't at a lake.

Peace,
Andy
Andy, one of these days I'm gonna have to bite the gas bill and drive to Walla Walla so you can teach me how to fish...

Or, I guess I could try Mr. Yard. Or.... Seems like everybody here can catch fish except for me, but at least I'm trying new things!

Zen Piscator

Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.
wbodger said:
Andy, one of these days I'm gonna have to bite the gas bill and drive to Walla Walla so you can teach me how to fish...

Or, I guess I could try Mr. Yard. Or.... Seems like everybody here can catch fish except for me, but at least I'm trying new things!
Trying new things is the way to go. For example, I caught some trout and shiners today after school on an interesting method. The creek I fished was rather overgrown, so I chose a 4-foot long fiberglass fly rod I had built from a spinning rod. Their would be no point for fly line as I was nymphing, so I stuck 25 feet of 15lb Maxima Chameleon in front of my line, and a short 4x leader. To this, I tied a blood knot, and left one of the tags long (about 8 inches). On the end of the tippet went a tungsten red copper john, and tied onto the long tag was a softhackle squirrel nymph. The rig sunk very fast, and I could pull them along slightly with the thin line and not cause much drag because I didn’t have a thick fly line. If I could keep control of my line, I would hook almost every strike I would get because the line would be tight and I would re-act to the feel of the fish, rather than the sight of a fly or indicator. It may not be legit fly fishing, but I had fun. Its not like it’s a new method, Joe Humphries has been doing it since the 60s. But its different, and sometimes that is what it takes to catch fish.
Backyard has about 13 years more experience than I when it comes to the fly rod, so you may want to book him for a trip to King Lake. You will learn a ton, I did.

Peace,
Andy

David Holmes

Formerly known as "capmblade"
I admit, I put my float tube into Lake Wilderness on Sunday afternoon. There were a lot of people but everyone was nice and no one was drunk and it was actually a pretty calm scene.

I put on a clinic for an hour catching the little planters. From 2-3 it was a strike or a hookup or a fish landed on every cast. I was using a little 3/4" carey special, and when it got too chewed up I had only one left. It was one that I had forgotten to put a body on! Just black thread with a grey hackle (shouldn't watch the game while tying). It worked as well as the peacock body.

Small and uneducated or not (the fish, not me), it was a heckuva a lot of fun, especially with so many "witnesses." Guilty pleasure!

Recon info: One guy I talked to said that he saw a 5lb fish taken on the north side the day before. And I personally witnessed a couple of old-timers land a beautiful 2lb trout below the million dollar houses. Into the cooler he went.

Hit one of the local resivors for Saturday. Nice to stay close to home with the gas prices. Stopped counting at thirty by 0830. Action continued all day. Drys, wets, nymphs, leeches, you name it they slammed it. Mostly 9 to 14 inch with a twenty inch plus and a 17 inch fish with two LDR's on other large fish. Sometimes it is great to sit just out of range of the bait chuckers and hook fish after fish. Great stuff on a 3 and 4wt rod. :thumb: :thumb:

I too have to fess up. I had a blast taking my 10 yr old son to one of the local lakes, and we just tore em up. We went to one lake, way too crowded, went to a second, also too crowded, then settled on a smaller lake because there was an open bank on one side, because there were bushes that interfered with the power-baiters.

He was hesitant to use his fly rod at first, being a novice with such a big audience, and I brought his spinning rod but we never broke it out. Instead, we donned the waders to get to the bushy weedy area where the power bait balls and 2 oz howitzer shells were afraid to go (there was plenty of snagged line on them to serve as a warning). We had easy pickings using dry flies, though next time scud droppers will be in order (waders were thick with scuds, and I watched the trout feeding on them in among the weeds). I switched to a #22 Griffith's gnat after a while to make it more of a challenge, as it was truly shooting fish in a barrel. But it was a great chance for my kid to learn more about casting, setting the hook, handling the fish, releasing them, etc. And his success, particularly relative to the gear fishers across the lake, set the hook in him more than his good days on Yakima.

The best part, though, was driving home the difference between fly fishing and other styles. When I told my son, in reference to my standard old tired statement when fishing is slow, "I guess we could call it 'Catching' today, huh", he responded, pointing to the rows of lawn chairs, "And that's why they call it fishing, not sitting." Gotta love it.

While the quality of the fishing was not the best, the experience was of a quality that we will always remember with the best.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Worked all weekend and Monday. Got my canoe and gear ready to go after I get some shuteye...won't know where I'm going til I get there! :rofl: Lights out.

Jimbo

Richard E

Zen Piscator said:
so I chose a 4-foot long fiberglass fly rod I had built from a spinning rod. Their would be no point for fly line as I was nymphing, so I stuck 25 feet of 15lb Maxima Chameleon in front of my line, and a short 4x leader.
Sorry, Andy, but it ain't fly fishing if there isn't a fly line involved. If you believe differently, then I'll tell my Dad that when he's using that fly on the end of his line when he's trolling with a downrigger at 90' is fly fishing just because he's using a fly. And, I guess those gear guys that happen to be using 15 lb Maxima main line (like you did) with an Aerofly or some other "fly" on the hand are now fly fishing, and not gear fishing, and therefore can fish on waters now that are 'fly fishing' only.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the techniques you used or how you did it, but it's not fly fishing. Not that there's anything wrong with it; just don't do it in 'fly fishing only' waters, or you will get a ticket if caught.

Willie Bodger

Still, nothing clever to say...
Richard said:
Sorry, Andy, but it ain't fly fishing if there isn't a fly line involved. ...
I don't necessarily have a problem with the techniques you used or how you did it, but it's not fly fishing. Not that there's anything wrong with it; just don't do it in 'fly fishing only' waters, or you will get a ticket if caught.
Actually, as long as he has 25' of fly line and sues a fly reel, he's ok by the regs. It doesn't say anything about the leader or leader material. Oen interesting point, though, is the restrictions on hook size. The gap between teh hook point and the shank can be no longer than 1/2". Seems a little odd, what if you want to fish BIG streamers in Pass lake looking for one of those monster browns?

I took my 9yr. old out on our home lake (Goss Lake) and had a blast. There were a lot of folks out for the size of the lake but all were very friendly and most had little kids also. Lots of stockers and a few in the 12"-14" inch range. A lot of the 8"-10" fish would leap out of the water much to the delight of my son. I was amazed at how many more hook ups I was getting in comparison to the guys fishing with gear. Even the newly planted tripliods were slamming our flies.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
This is in reguards to Zen fishing a little stream/creek. I thought that all skinny waters were closed until June 1st except the Yakima and a few others. Except the waters for Juveniles. But Zen is now driving and he is to old for that type of fishing. Come on Young man,fess up were you fishing out of season?????????

Jim

Latest posts