Vise Selection Help

Hey all,

I'm a fairly new to tying and am looking to branch out from the trout flies that I have been tying.

Mostly, I'm wanting to work on pike and bass flies and would like to learn to work with tubes.

Wondering what your suggestions are for a rotary vise? What features are a necessity in your opinion? Ideally I'd like something on a base as I don't have a dedicated tying bench to clamp onto.

Perhaps somebody has one that is either collecting dust or maybe you are looking to upgrade?

Thanks!
Dave

NCL

Dave,

The one thing that jumped out in your question is you want to tie pike and bass flies and tube flies. For the first question bass/pike flies, look for a vise that has jaws that will hold larger hooks, I do not ties for those species but from recipes I have seen they are usually ties on big hooks. As for tube flies there are a couple of inexpensive adapters available. A few years ago I got an vise that is specifically for tube flies but before that purchase the adapters were used and they worked. I have a Nor-Vise and a Dyna-King Barracuda, the Nor-Vise is my go to one and use the Barracuda as my travel vise, but I am sure the other brands work just as well. Good luck in your search

Latest posts