Redington Skagit boots

IveofIone

I did what I could and will have to live with it since the boots are nearly new. I used a tiny carbide end mill in my Dremel and put small 45 degree chamfers on all 40 surfaces that had 90 degree corners before. It will help some I'm sure but is not near as good as a full radius. And I don't think they were bronze at all, perhaps a hard anodized aluminum. Once through the outer case they ground easily. But not everyone has a case of micro carbide end mills or a suitable grinder motor to spin them.

My recommendation is just don't buy them and have to deal with a poor design. I contacted the factory to tell them about the design flaw and they pretty much acknowledged the problem and offered to send me more shoelaces. I expected more-perhaps a discount on their better Prowler model boot that only sells for a few dollars more and has traditional eyelets instead of the protruding cast models on the Skagit.

Live and learn. Despite my usual research to ferret out potential problems these slipped through the cracks and bit me in the ass. They'll be just fine though, I'm aware of the problem and always keep several pair of shoestrings in my duffel. More for my buddies that might need them than me but they are always there.

Okay-trauma over, now back to our regular programming.

Interesting I was looking at these as a replacement boot. Ive glad you got it worked out. Question on the sizing of these boots. I have read either order the size of your street shoe but I also heard some say they should have ordered a size smaller than street shoe as these run really big? Those that have bought these shoes pr the palix what methodology did you use when you bought your size? Street shoe size or smaller?

LyNcH

Steelhead Junkie
They run big. Buy your street shoe size. I've owned felt sole Skagit boots for a few years. Only issue I have had are the shoelaces. Not any different of an issue than what I had with my previous wading boot, Korkers KGB boots. Simple fix was already mentioned. Paracord laces. Cheap and have yet to wear through, on the KGB's or Skagits. BTW, I have a brand new pair of rubber sole Skagit boots in size 13 for a good price if anyone is interested as I wear size 12 street shoe. I'll even make you up a pair of paracord laces. ;)

Shad

I work at Far Bank and know those boots well. They should not have an edge that is sharp like that. I'm going to send you a pm with contact info so that we can get you taken care of. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, as I know it's a pain!
This is the sort of service experience I was accustomed to when dealing with Far Bank (a great, proactive one). I say that in the past tense, because my most recent experience was not the same.

I recently inquired about my less than 2-year old zipperfront Redington waders, because the neoprene stockingfeet had worn almost completely through under the balls of both feet. Realizing they had recently walked back their warranty policy, I was prepared to pay for replacement stockingfeet. I was NOT prepared to be told that the waders I had purchased less than 2 years prior were no longer serviceable, so there was nothing to be done.

I'm not an unreasonable person; I don't expect waders to last forever. Indeed, if I get two full seasons out of waders without a major leak, I'm generally very satisfied. These started leaking within the first 6 months (it was last October when they started leaking). I used to be tougher than most on my waders, but I'm so tired of buying new ones that I have started treating them like a fragile family heirloom in recent years. I don't even use them nearly as often anymore. Even with that, these failed (fairly catastrophically) in very little time, and I'd probably be less pissed off about it if not for three things:

1. The person who responded to my inquiry told me they had likely worn through because my wading boots didn't fit right (too big). I know that's bullshit, because I've always bought boots a size bigger than my shoes, and I've never had stockingfeet wear completely through because of it. Besides, if that were the issue, I should think more than just the area under the balls of my feet would be affected.
2. The same person told me the waders I bought were a mid-priced model ("somewhere around $300, if I recall correctly"). That was also bullshit. When I bought them, they were Redington's state of the art, and they cost me $350 on a good sale (listed $400-$450 elsewhere). I'm also pretty sure only top model waders are made with zippers, for all manufacturers, but I'm not certain.
3. ZERO effort to keep my business. Don't make those anymore? Fine. Offer me some new ones at a discount. I might not take the offer, but I'd feel like an effort had been made to make things better. Instead, nothing was offered, and as a result, I'll not be purchasing any gear from Far Bank (Sage or Redington) moving forward. I also won't be recommending their products to friends, as I have done many times in the past, because it used to be that if something wasn't right, they'd make it right (or at least easier to swallow).

I should state that the rest of my waders are still in good shape; no leaks in the seams or the zipper. It's a shame the stockingfeet weren't even of comparable quality to what I've owned before, because if not for those defective pieces of shit, I'd be singing Far Bank's praises instead of blacklisting their products. I know Far Bank won't miss my business, and I don't plan to waste any energy telling other people not to buy their stuff (most of which is great stuff). Just thought an account of the quality issue I dealt with was worthy of mention in a thread about Skagit boots, which I found very comfortable but about as durable as a wet paper bag.

This is the sort of service experience I was accustomed to when dealing with Far Bank (a great, proactive one). I say that in the past tense, because my most recent experience was not the same.

I recently inquired about my less than 2-year old zipperfront Redington waders, because the neoprene stockingfeet had worn almost completely through under the balls of both feet. Realizing they had recently walked back their warranty policy, I was prepared to pay for replacement stockingfeet. I was NOT prepared to be told that the waders I had purchased less than 2 years prior were no longer serviceable, so there was nothing to be done.

I'm not an unreasonable person; I don't expect waders to last forever. Indeed, if I get two full seasons out of waders without a major leak, I'm generally very satisfied. These started leaking within the first 6 months (it was last October when they started leaking). I used to be tougher than most on my waders, but I'm so tired of buying new ones that I have started treating them like a fragile family heirloom in recent years. I don't even use them nearly as often anymore. Even with that, these failed (fairly catastrophically) in very little time, and I'd probably be less pissed off about it if not for three things:

1. The person who responded to my inquiry told me they had likely worn through because my wading boots didn't fit right (too big). I know that's bullshit, because I've always bought boots a size bigger than my shoes, and I've never had stockingfeet wear completely through because of it. Besides, if that were the issue, I should think more than just the area under the balls of my feet would be affected.
2. The same person told me the waders I bought were a mid-priced model ("somewhere around $300, if I recall correctly"). That was also bullshit. When I bought them, they were Redington's state of the art, and they cost me $350 on a good sale (listed $400-$450 elsewhere). I'm also pretty sure only top model waders are made with zippers, for all manufacturers, but I'm not certain.
3. ZERO effort to keep my business. Don't make those anymore? Fine. Offer me some new ones at a discount. I might not take the offer, but I'd feel like an effort had been made to make things better. Instead, nothing was offered, and as a result, I'll not be purchasing any gear from Far Bank (Sage or Redington) moving forward. I also won't be recommending their products to friends, as I have done many times in the past, because it used to be that if something wasn't right, they'd make it right (or at least easier to swallow).

I should state that the rest of my waders are still in good shape; no leaks in the seams or the zipper. It's a shame the stockingfeet weren't even of comparable quality to what I've owned before, because if not for those defective pieces of shit, I'd be singing Far Bank's praises instead of blacklisting their products. I know Far Bank won't miss my business, and I don't plan to waste any energy telling other people not to buy their stuff (most of which is great stuff). Just thought an account of the quality issue I dealt with was worthy of mention in a thread about Skagit boots, which I found very comfortable but about as durable as a wet paper bag.
Sadly I have drawn about the same conclusions as Shad in dealing with them. After discovering a known defect and informing them of it their response was to get more shoe laces! That's like having tires that wear out in 10,000 miles and the manufacturer telling you to buy more tires. New Korkers soon.

Latest posts