The Nicest thing she ever did for me...

David Holmes

Formerly known as "capmblade"
A nice birthday surprise with friends

My honey told me to keep Apr 30th open (my birthday was on the 27th) for a surprise. As the date approached, she informed me we were going fishing together... on Pass Lake even.

I didn't realize this, but she had snuck onto my computer and grabbed email addresses out of my address book and even lurked on the forum. She emailed several of the people I've fished with and asked them to meet us at the lake and to keep it secret!

So when we got to the lake, just about everyone was there already! I wasn't surprised to see my main fishing buddy Brent Comer, but I was surprised by the others, including venerable forum members Kent and Backyard, each of whom brought gifts!

So the eight of us partied and fished and partied some more. I was pretty much skunked, probably due to the fact that I consumed copious amounts of MGD. Some of the other guys got between 3-8 fish. I heard numbers like a 22" RB and a 26" brown taken on dries. I think the "new guys" to the lake did the best. Or maybe Backyard did the best but he didn't flout his numbers like I would have if I had any.

Anyway, the day was honestly the nicest thing that my honey or anyone else had ever done for my birthday. I was touched that she'd think of it and touched by the gents who showed up.

The real meaning of life, for me anyway, is the pleasure you get from making friends and spending time with them, especially in pursuit of our scaly quarry.

Thank you to those who showed up, and thanks for the gifts!

Awesome! A WFF get-together would make a great B-day gift.

I'm still working on my girlfriend. She said the coolest thing last week, though. I think it was along the lines of "You need to tie flies." I told her I loved her, and then I tied flies.

troutfanatic

A day not spent wasted is.....wasted.
This last saturday my girl suprised me too when she said she would like to make her own rod. Surprised the hell out of me. I love it when the girls will get interested in any kind of fishing related thing. :thumb:

Be careful guys or you may never get to go fishing by yourself again. I have not gotten the true peace, only fishing by yourself can bring since Feb 2005 fishing for Steel. At the rate things are going I will not again get that peace until next winter Steelhead season comes around. She is still not to thrilled to fish in a cold river in the winter casting a 1000 times for one fish, but will fish a cold lake in the winter without question.
Please no one tell her the thrill of winter Steelhead fishing. I beg you. I still need a little time fishing alone to look forward to.

Reason number 15 of why fly fishing is better then sex.
You are never afraid of someone catching you fishing alone.

I had a great time! I hope you enjoyed yourself, capmblade.

It was cool to meet Kent and Jim S., also to see Backyard again. He's the only guy I can recognize from a distance by his loops out on the lake.

Also, if Marco Polo wasn't such a lurker, he would post one or two of his upside-down-fish pictures. :rofl:

troutfanatic

A day not spent wasted is.....wasted.
hikepat said:
Reason number 15 of why fly fishing is better then sex.
You are never afraid of someone catching you fishing alone.
Reason number 16 why fly fishing is better then sex.

Your never afraid off catching anything when your fishing.

Capmblade's wife rocks! I enjoyed it as much as the B-day boy.
Thanks to Backyards who showed me the fly he was hooking fish on. Attached is a pic of one of the four browns I got on a similar dry.

Attachments

A nice birthday surprise with friends

capmblade said:
I was pretty much skunked, probably due to the fact that I consumed copious amounts of MGD.
Should'a drank better beer.

Seriously, what a great BD gift! I'm envious.

Latest posts