Reel Decision Help: Waterworks Force 3 LT/Ross Evo

DougH

I have a chance to pick up either of these at comparable prices. Has anyone had a chance to try both and can compare? I'll probably drop by a store sometime to see how the action feels but I'd appreciate some usage feedback from people who have tried both.

I'm fishing a 5wt and an 8wt with occasional saltwater use to spice up those trout runs. :p

Thanks.

Edit: I'm somewhat interested in the Galvan Torque as well but I think that's a click/pawn drag. Is that correct?

Jergens

AKA Joe Willauer
i have the lamson and the evo and they are both solid reels, but the ross is much more durable finish, component, and feature wise. you would be happy with either but my 2cents say ross.

pwoens

the torque hands down...and nope its no click and pawl. Second choice would be the evo. I have 3 torques and 1 evo....definately take the torque over the evo without hesitation :thumb:

I second pwoens in the torque, galvan makes a great reel and you wont be disapointed with it, not that you would be disapointed with the evolution. Go and look at them for your self and decide.

DougH

So the Torque is not a click/pawl? Is it a disc drag?
Have you had a chance to compare the Torque to the other 2 reels mentioned?

pwoens

DougH said:
So the Torque is not a click/pawl? Is it a disc drag?
Have you had a chance to compare the Torque to the other 2 reels mentioned?
The torque is a disc, and a beefier disc than the evo in my opinion. I have fished the waterworks and I own the evo. I ALWAYS fish my torque over my evo. My evo is my second/third choice. Torque for sure :thumb:

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I don't understand all these questions on the wanting to buy gear to use. What makes one person happy will make another one mad. I have always been under the impression that one usually buys what he wants or can afford. It's like buying a new car. I like this one and the wife likes that one.

I don't think that the person in question really knows what he wants as he also listed a third reel.

Please don't take this to heart as this is just an Old Man asking questions that don't need any answers.

But what I would do is just buy all three and make up your own mind as to which one you want to use. Then you can sell the others on ebay.

Jim

I like my Evo and San Miguel. I am with the old man though, iagree buy what you like, not what someone recommends. I have been there and I bought a SP+ on a recommendation from someone, and hardly fish it, I pick up the RPL any day over the SP+. I have asked for opinions before, and then I get the one I like, afterall, I am the one using it. Good Luck

Well I had mentioned that I wouldnt be making the final decision until I saw the reel at the store. I cant afford to buy all of them at once, which was why I was asking for feedback on them (durabilty, quality, etc.) from people who had actually had a chance to fish with them, preferably for some time; something I wont be able to do at the store. :rolleyes:

Zen Piscator

Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.
I like the feel of the Torque. I got put off by the smallish drag system on the Ross, but who am i kidding, since when have I caught a trout which needed a drag that could put more than 2lbs or pressure out? BTW, tie a 2lb weight to your rod and see how much drag it takes to stop it. I would never use more that that to trout fish. I have my drag set just above freespool at most times and I apply more pressue by palming. Less start-up pressue means fewer breakoffs. I think you would be happy with either of the 3. One thing that I think is very important in reels is weight. Get the lightest reel you can find that will suit your needs. It will be easier to cast, and you will be less tired at the end of the day. Good luck, and buy whichever you like best in your hands. If you can't fish it, at least cast with the reel, or wave it around on the rod for a bit. I think you will be happy with either of the three.

Peace,
Andy

pwoens

youngun aka zen :p said:
Get the lightest reel you can
most of the time this is deadon advice. BUT, if the reel is too light for the rod it is being placed on, they will not balance and casting will be affected....maybe not much, but it will.

As for durability and longevity, I have had two of three torques for over a year and they have seen the likes of a 20 pound king(t8), dozens of steelhead(t8), and countless trout(t4).

Zen Piscator

Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.
sage old patrick said:
most of the time this is deadon advice. BUT, if the reel is too light for the rod it is being placed on, they will not balance and casting will be affected....maybe not much, but it will.QUOTE]

I would have to agree, I am talking about trout weight rods and not spey. For heavy rods and spey rods, i think the best method is weighting in rod butt. sometimes on small creeks i dont even use a reel, and i really like how light the rod is that way, but if i think im going to see bigger fish, i usually take along a reel. I dont think you need a reel if you fishing shorter than 30 feet, just tie the line to the hook keeper.

Latest posts