New to tying first fly

So I decided to buy a fly tying kit to make myself start learning what makes all these flys tick and stop myself from going to the store in search of new flies everytime I go fishing. So far I am enjoying learning all these techniques and ways to tie different things. I tried and failed quite a bit the last few days finally decided to tie a wooly worm and was pretty happy with a decent looking fly for the first time. Now I’m really interested and already thinking of all the possibilities. It’s seems like it’s all abt getting the basics down and picking up a few tips along the way. The first pic I think looks a lot better than the second pic. Trying to aim for the quality of the first pic and hopefully even better next time. 25C2178C-3E98-44FF-A4E8-5A506965BF71.jpeg 54925D51-35E4-4C10-8B34-5D16E41CE449.jpeg

We all had to start someplace and now that you made that first step it looks like you're off and running. I tied my first just under 50 years ago and as the other pre-fossilized members here will tell you, today you have it lucky. We never had anything like Youtube or a forum like this to help us learn. Instead we relied on limited sources in our town library and learnt largely from friends who tied. The amount of tying literature today may be ten-fold greater than in the late 60s. Also back then the range of materials available was maybe a tenth of what's available for us to now enjoy, but we did have the Herter's mail order catalogue and their store in Olympia where I made a trip when I was 15 and my life has never been the same since!

Keep at it. Scour the internet for education. Join your local fly fishing club. Buy the materials needed to fish the flies you use. Start now to maintain a habit of good organization as materials have a way of multiplying before you know it. Have a dedicated space where you can tie and keep it neat. Try to tie or learn something new about tying everyday. Above all have fun and fish often.

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
That is one ugly fly!! I sure wish I had kept the first one I tied. If I were you I'd either put that fly in a place of honor..... or fish it. It will catch fish for sure as it has all the attributes of a fish catching fly. Actually it looks like you have your first two flies there as one has a red tail and the first doesn't. In any case I would fish them or put them in a place of honor. You will never have another first fly and those are worthy of display.

congrats!!

That is one ugly fly!! I sure wish I had kept the first one I tied. If I were you I'd either put that fly in a place of honor..... or fish it. It will catch fish for sure as it has all the attributes of a fish catching fly. Actually it looks like you have your first two flies there as one has a red tail and the first doesn't. In any case I would fish them or put them in a place of honor. You will never have another first fly and those are worthy of display.

congrats!!

I second this... hang on to that fly. In a few years you'll look at it and be amazed at your progress. Welcome to a very satisfying hobby/obsession!

congrats!!
Zen's right; frame it.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Frame it next to a picture of the first fish you caught with it.
This! Wish I would have saved my first, but I didn't even get a chance to fish it - I left it on the kitchen table so Dad could look at it when he got home from work. Mom spotted the thing, swatted it with a rolled-up newspaper, wrapped it in a Kleenex & flushed it. She did bake me a chocolate cake to make it up to me, however. :D

Thanks guys. Going on a trip to Arizona soon hoping to get one morning to chase some bass and whatever else will bite gonna try a few Gurgler poppers tonight and see what I can produce haha

Latest posts