Fall Run Browns

This fall I plan to devote more time on targeting migratory Browns coming out of Lakes in SW Montana. I’ve been browsing the Madison river and other Tribs on google maps these past few months.

Does anyone have tips or suggestions for targeting these Browns with streamers?

Last edited:
Buy Chester Allens's excellent book YELLOWSTONE RUNNERS. There is no one that knows these waters like Chester. He is there right now, living his dream.
You can also talk to the guys at Blue Ribbon Flies in West for info., but that book is an excellent suggestion.

Also, keep in mind that browns, and rainbows too, migrate out of other Montana lakes (not just Hebgen) in the fall, including places that you rarely if ever hear about on the Internet. But I suppose not everyone is interested in finding those places on their own, catching really big fish, and being able to fish in solitude. (Many people obviously like the social aspects of fishing elbow to elbow with a few hundred other fishermen targeting those browns coming out of Hebgen.)

John

I Bought Yellowstone Runners last week. Should have time to finish it this week.. Great book so far!

"My favorite way is to share with the internet where I plan on fishing." Hebgen lake is a world renowned fishery.. There are hundreds of articles online that talk about the lake & the Fall run Browns. I'm sure this thread won't add any additional pressure..

Last edited:

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I Bought Yellowstone Runners last week. Should have time to finish it this week..

"My favorite way is to share with the internet where I plan on fishing." haha, Hebgen lake is a world renowned fishery.. There are hundreds of articles online that talk about the lake & the Fall run Browns. I'm sure this thread won't add any additional pressure..
I never heard of this before. But I don't fish lakes. Just skinny water.

CrawBugger

We used large size 8 pheasant tail soft hackles. They killed it on the larger Browns swimming out of Hebgen. Don't forget to throw a Mouse pattern. And by All means have Fun.

Latest posts