Finding Nemo Part 371 - honoring fish species diversity

Mems

You might try a recon snorkel to see what is out there. Should have goatfish in the sand, maybe a bonefish. Papio will be on the edge of the rocks and sand. Good luck, Mems.

skyrise

Mems, yup have tried the snorkel scout idea. Waves here make it tough. I am not a strong swimmer. And for some reason the ocean water down here really bothers my stomach more than home. Want to try renting a kayak.
Hope to wander over to Kehai try those beaches.

jasmillo

Mems, yup have tried the snorkel scout idea. Waves here make it tough. I am not a strong swimmer. And for some reason the ocean water down here really bothers my stomach more than home. Want to try renting a kayak.
Hope to wander over to Kehai try those beaches.
Be curious to know if you have any success. I am heading to Maui in the fall for the first time, after many visits to the Big Island and Kauai. I’m excited to give Maui a go with the fly rod!

skyrise

Check out the video for Bluefin jacks at Honolua bay. Which of course is a marine sanctuary.
Very windy today tried for only an hour. No good. Dirty water coming in from the creek around the corner from us. Tough to spot anything now.

skyrise

spent a couple hours at sugar beach. Very windy & waves were bad. One smallish jack attacking some bait fish. No interest in my fly. Too hard to get a good cast & retreive because of the blasted waves. He was joined by some small blue fin jacks for a short time. Very frustrating. Better than sitting on my ass in the sun.

skyrise

Be curious to know if you have any success. I am heading to Maui in the fall for the first time, after many visits to the Big Island and Kauai. I’m excited to give Maui a go with the fly rod!
Bring a spinning rod. Or both if you can. My 2 cents worth is its easier to fight the waves/wind here than stand there while wave’s have their way with you. Plus the long casts required here. One web site writes about using a clear casting bubble with leader & lure which makes sense to me.

jasmillo

Bring a spinning rod. Or both if you can. My 2 cents worth is its easier to fight the waves/wind here than stand there while wave’s have their way with you. Plus the long casts required here. One web site writes about using a clear casting bubble with leader & lure which makes sense to me.
I only own one spinning rod....and I bought it for my dad to use when he is visiting. I’ll throw a fly rod in the bag when I head to Maui. Can’t imagine it is going to be much different then my time fishing the Big Island or Kauai with a flyrod. Maybe I’ll catch some fish...maybe I won’t. It’s just something I do to kill time while hanging out on the beach. I don’t sit still for long periods well :).

skyrise

I only own one spinning rod....and I bought it for my dad to use when he is visiting. I’ll throw a fly rod in the bag when I head to Maui. Can’t imagine it is going to be much different then my time fishing the Big Island or Kauai with a flyrod. Maybe I’ll catch some fish...maybe I won’t. It’s just something I do to kill time while hanging out on the beach. I don’t sit still for long periods well :).
Same here. I guess the beaches out in front of Kihei are little calmer I hear.

Latest posts